Minor Amendments to the List
With almost 400,000 entries on the National Heritage List for England (NHLE), many of which are over 20 years old, we realise that there may be a number of minor errors. Here you can find out how to report minor amendments and how we deal with them.
What counts as a Minor Amendment?
We have a fast-track correction process for small errors in the List entries. We refer to these straightforward changes as Minor Amendments.
We can deal with four types of amendment:
- Corrections to names and addresses
- Small corrections to the List description
- Corrections to the List Entry if it differs from the original listing text
- Corrections to the mapping
In all cases we can easily amend typing errors.
Procedure for dealing with Minor Amendments
Please send any requests for changes to minoramendmentstothelist@HistoricEngland.org.uk and include:
- The List Entry number
- Any relevant information supporting your request, such as photographs or copies of documents
We will notify you and any interested parties when we make amendments. Changes are made directly to the National Heritage List for England (NHLE) and appear online within 24 hours.
As list entries are legal documents we keep a record of all requests that lead to an amendment. We keep your contact details for one year only.
Examples of common Minor Amendments
- Updating or correcting the spelling of a building name
- Correcting building numbers
- Updating street or road names
- Corrections to the List Entry description, such as spelling and grammatical errors or factual inaccuracies (e.g. construction material)
Amendments that are not treated as minor
- Changes to Grade or status of a List Entry
- Amendments to the location where an asset has been moved or where there is ambiguity as to the asset’s location
- Amendments that relate to structures within the curtilage of the principal listed building
Changes which cannot be treated as a Minor Amendment may require a formal amendment and you may need to complete our online application form.
The Engine House,
Fire Fly Avenue ,