Banks War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Banks War Memorial
List entry Number: 1439173
Churchyard of the Church of St Stephen in the Banks, Church Road, Banks, Lancashire, PR9 8ET
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Lancashire
District Type: District Authority
Parish: North Meols
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 31-Oct-2016
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial with further names added after the Second World War.
Reasons for Designation
Banks War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified granite Latin cross.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Banks as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War. It commemorates 19 local servicemen who fell during the First World War.
Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the 12 fallen of that conflict.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is 2.5 metres in height and consists of a Latin cross set upon on a square shaft on a three-stepped plinth. The plinth stands on a simple square base.
The S face bears the First World War dedication and names in incised and painted lead letters with the dedication running across the upper two steps of the plinth and the names on the deeper, lower step of the plinth.
On the top step of the plinth the inscription reads: "THEIR NAME / LIVETH / FOR EVERMORE." The middle step of the plinth reads: IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THE / MEN OF BANKS / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918.
The western plinth face bears the Second World War commemoration in incised and painted lead letters with the dedication on the middle step and the names on the lowest step. On the western face, on the middle step of the plinth is inscribed the following dedication: ALSO IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF BANKS WHO / DIED AS A RESULT OF / WORLD WAR II 1939 - 45. This is followed by the names inscribed on the lower step of the plinth.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 2 February 2017.
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/173695
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 July 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/54991
National Grid Reference: SD3901520944
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1439173 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2018 at 11:25:17.
End of official listing