Ludworth War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1438730
Date first listed:
14-Oct-2016
Statutory Address:
Junction of Margaret Street and East View, Ludworth, Shadforth, County Durham, DH6 1NZ

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1438730.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:47:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
Junction of Margaret Street and East View, Ludworth, Shadforth, County Durham, DH6 1NZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shadforth
National Grid Reference:
NZ3636741435

Summary

First World War memorial, 1927, with later additions for the Second World War.

Reasons for Designation

Ludworth War Memorial, which stands beside the junction of Margaret Street and East View, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified memorial cross.

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Ludworth as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 20 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.

Ludworth was the pit village for a colliery that had been opened in 1837. The memorial was built on land given by the Weardale Coal Company. It was unveiled on 26 February 1927 by Colonel JR Ritson. The service was conducted by Reverend AC Hague. Following the Second World War the names of five men who died in that conflict were added. These were unveiled on 30 September 1949 by Major General CF Loewens and dedicated by Canon RH Tillard. The memorial was refurbished in 2005.

Details

The memorial stands in an enclosure to the SW of the junction of Margaret Street and East View. In granite, it takes the form of a Latin cross with a moulded foot that rises from a pedestal, square on plan. The pedestal stands on a two-stepped base.

The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the pedestal reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOUR OF THE BRAVE MEN/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918./ (20 NAMES). Below, on the riser of the top step, the later dedication reads 1939 – 1935/ (5 NAMES).



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.

Sources

Websites
Durham Mining Museum, accessed 15/08/2016 from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/l001.htm
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 15/08/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7900
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/144457
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/10280
Other
“A Village Memorial”, Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, 28 February 1927, p12

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].