Eglingham War Memorial
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: Eglingham War Memorial
List entry Number: 1436892
The VIllage Hall, Eglingham, Northumberland, NE66 2TX
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: Unitary Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 28-Jul-2016
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.
This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.
List entry Description
Summary of Building
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reasons for Designation
Eglingham War Memorial, which stands on the north side of the B6346 adjacent to the village hall, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a richly ornamented cross in the early medieval style.
Eglingham War Memorial was unveiled on 27 March 1921 by Mrs Sutton-Jones of Roseden Hall: her only son is commemorated on the memorial. The memorial was designed by Messrs Thomas Watson of Alnwick and sculpted by John E Watson. It commemorates 23 local servicemen who died in the First World War. The memorial cross, wrought iron railings, and the yew hedge cost c£140 whilst the plot of land with given to the village, at a peppercorn rent, by Sir Thomas Milvain. Following the Second World War the names of two men and one woman who died in that conflict were added.
The memorial stands in an enclosure to the north side of the main road through Eglingham, adjacent to the village hall (not listed). Made of stone from Old Denwick Quarry, the memorial takes the form of a wheel-head cross based on the Iona cross. The cross head, and upper portion of the cross shaft are richly ornamented with interlace patters carved in low relief. There are additional panels of knot-work on the sides of the cross shaft.
The cross shaft rises from a pedestal, square on plan, that stands on a plinth. The plinth is raised on a two-stepped, square, base. The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the pedestal reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ IN HONOUR OF THE MEN/ OF THIS PARISH WHO FOUGHT/ AND IN EVER/ GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ OF THOSE WHO FELL/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918.
The 23 commemorated First World War names are recorded on the front face of the plinth. The left-hand face of the pedestal carries the dates 1939 – 1945 with the three Second World War names below on the plinth. Carved into the front face of the upper step of the base is the admonition SEE YE TO IT THAT THESE SHALL NOT HAVE DIED IN VAIN.
The memorial enclosure is marked by a low stone wall and wrought iron fence to the front, with planting to the rear.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 23 November 2017.
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 17/06/2016 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7092
War Memorials Online, accessed 23 November 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/253814
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33671
National Grid Reference: NU1085919471
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1436892 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2018 at 05:06:29.
End of official listing