This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1390428

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bracknell Forest

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Winkfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Feb-2002

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489415

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WINKFIELD

SU97SW CHURCH LANE 674-1/13/214 (North side) 07/12/66 Church of St Mary (Formerly Listed as: WINKFIELD LANE Church of St Mary)

II*

Parish church. C14, altered and extended C16, C17, and in the C19 by GE Street. MATERIALS: dark brown conglomerate stone galleted with large pieces of similar material, stone dressings. Old tile coped gabled roof. Brick tower in Flemish bond. PLAN: nave, divided down centre by oak posts, south chapel, south porch, tower at south-west angle, chancel, north vestry and organ chamber. EXTERIOR: tower formerly of wood but rebuilt in brick by the Parish in 1629. 3 stages with embattled parapet and clasping buttresses with 3 offsets. Moulded brick labels over all openings. Pointed south doorway, with a large elliptical-headed window above of 3 brick-mullioned lights. Intermediate stage lighted from west by pointed single light with square label. Bell chamber has pointed 2-light windows on all 4 sides. Clock face on south side. Nave north front has three 2-stage buttresses. Three 2-light windows with trefoiled heads with pierced spandrels; the middle window C19, other windows are C14. West front has three 2-light windows with trefoiled heads. 2 northern of these are C14 although the second one has been restored, other southern window C19, and set in brick wall. South front has C19 coped gabled porch has C14 doorway with 2-centred head and external label. West of this C14 single light window with trefoiled head. To right of porch are two 2-stage buttresses, one 3-light window and one 2-light window both of C19. South chapel has south front. One 2-light C19 window in Early English style and to right of this panlled door in doorway with trefoiled head. Chancel, east front, 3-light C19 window in Early English style. Vestry and organ chamber, north side, 3 lancet windows of different sizes and heights. 2 plank doors in pointed headed doorways. East side has 3-light C19 window in Early English style, large window above, of 4 cusped roundels in semicircular arched opening. INTERIOR: C16 nave roof of 2 spans supported by 4 octagonal tapering oak columns and one, half column against the west wall. Columns have longitudinal arched braces instead of arches. Roof of 5 bays of arch braced collar trusses supported on carved consoles. Console on south face of easternmost column carved with crown and Tudor rose dated 1592 and Royal initials `E.R.' East wall of vestry C12 shafted piscina, carved with interlacing strapwork. C19 wrought iron screen with high candlesticks. MONUMENTS: principal monuments include brass on east wall of nave to Thomas Mountague d.1630. On north wall of nave mural tablet commemorating Thomas Wise, "Master Mason of England to King Charles the Second" d.1685, other monuments to Metcalf family, 1822, and 1826, by Bedford. Painted text dated 1723 on south wall with quasi-stone carved boarder. Royal coat of arms of George III over south door. STAINED GLASS: glass in south chapel by Kempe 1833, foiled window on east wall of chapel by Moberl. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 305; Victoria County History: VOL III: 88).

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 90421 72437

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390428 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 08:41:56.

End of official listing