This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1390256

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bracknell Forest

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Binfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 489238

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BINFIELD

SU87SW CHURCH HILL 674-1/11/47 (North East side) 07/12/66 Church of All Saints

GV II*

Parish church. C14, altered C15, restored and north aisle added in 1847; vestry, south arcade and south chapel re-built in 1859, by Benjamin Ferry. MATERIALS: part conglomerate, part flint; old tile gable roofs, nave is the highest. PLAN: 4-bay nave with west tower and south porch, 3-bay chancel with south Lady Chapel and north aisle and vestry. EXTERIOR: tower: square plan. 2 stages. Conglomerate with freestone quoins and 2-stage weathered diagonal buttresses at western angles. Moulded strings at each stage; embattled parapet. Stair turret with ornate ogee top added 1862, on north side. C19 window with 2 trefoiled lights under pointed arch on west; similar window of single-light breaking string between 2 stages on first storey on the south side. Bell chamber is lit on all faces by C14 windows of 2 trefoiled lights under 2-centred arches of 2 hollow orders. Clock face on south side. North aisle: three, 2-light C19 windows with reticulated tracery, C19 doorway with pointed arch between 2 westernmost windows. Similar window on west front with small rose window above. South aisle: two 2-light restored windows with cinquefoiled lights and pointed-arched heads with south porch between. Timber framed open porch is late C14; each side has 8 feathered and traceried bays. Roof has collar purlin, collars are arch-braced and there are 2 large tie-beams at each end with redundant crown posts. Doorway partly restored, has moulded label and of 2 continuous orders, inner hollow chamfered, with square flowers in pointed head and upper part of jambs; outer moulded with double ogee. South chapel: 2 windows, each of 2 cinquefoiled lights, both restored; east window C15 of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery under depressed head. Chancel: C19 east and south fronts similar but of 2-lights. INTERIOR: 4-bay nave. South arcade has octagonal pillars with moulded capitals and hollow chamfered bases; arches pointed and of 2 double ogee orders. North arcade similar. Roof late C14, 5-bays with chamfered arch-braced collars, clasped purlins, arched windbraces and large plain tie beams. Chancel has C14 barrel shaped roof and arcade of 3-bays to south chapel, easternmost bay is C19; 2 original arches are of 2 orders; octagonal columns with bead-moulded abaci. 3-bay restored north arcade opens into C19 chancel aisle. FITTINGS: pulpit dated 1628, is carved and panelled. Sounding board had turned pendants and open ornament over. On north side of pulpit is elaborate wrought-iron sword-stand with leaf and grape ornament, and arms of the Ferriers Company of London. Plain font with old cylindrical bowl on C19 octagonal stem. STAINED GLASS: south-east window in south chapel has C15 glass, representing figures of St George with the dragon, St John the Divine with the poisoned cup, St Peter, St Paul, an angel and the Blessed Virgin. Glass in the west window of the south aisle is 1863 by O'Connor. (Victoria County History: VOL III: 16; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 86).

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 16
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 86

National Grid Reference: SU 84547 72148

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390256 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 09:30:27.

End of official listing