CHURCH OF ST MARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1387546
Date first listed:
13-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK, REDCAR ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1387546.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 01:52:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK, REDCAR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
National Grid Reference:
NZ 63358 22328

Details

SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE

NZ6322SW REDCAR ROAD, Marske 802-1/5/14 (North side) 13/04/67 Church of St Mark (Formerly Listed as: SALTBURN AND MARSKE BY THE SEA REDCAR ROAD, Marske By The Sea (North side) Church of St Mark)

GV II

Parish church. 1866-7 by FP Cockerell; tower battlements c1892. MATERIALS: Rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings; brick interior with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: Chancel with north organ and vestry and south tower; aisled nave with south-west baptistry and south porch. EXTERIOR: plinth, angle buttresses with coped offsets, trefoil-headed lancet windows. East elevation has string to sloping sills of 3 tall lancets with hoodmoulds under single relieving arch. South porch has roll-moulded pointed open arch with inner shafts and arch under steep gable with gabled kneelers to coping; returns have paired small trefoil-headed lights. Aisle windows paired under eaves gutter cornice with zigzag decoration; six-foil clerestory windows under corbel table with animal masks. West elevation has gabled slight projection containing pointed-arched door with zigzag moulding enclosing 2 diagonally-boarded doors between shafts under stone head with blind trefoils and vesica; large 8-foil window above flanked by buttresses. 3-stage tower has octagonal south-west stair turret with small lancet lights; first stage has paired windows, second stage blind and tall paired belfry openings with nookshafts and large stone louvres. Clock below battlemented parapet added after fire in 1892 had destroyed tower roof. INTERIOR: brick with ashlar arcades, bands and dressings; scissor-braced hammer-beam roof resting on stone corbels, and diagonal-boarded ceiling. 4 steps up to chancel, 2 to |sanctuary and one to altar. Attached arcaded to east windows with clasping rings on nookshafts supporting arches with ball-flower mouldings; deep ashlar reveals.



North organ arch and south tower chapel arcade with high relief soffit carving of symbols of evangelists. Dripmould to high roll moulded chancel arch with nookshafts and recessed inner arch on corbelled shafts with crocket capitals. Similar style richly carved capitals to 5-bay nave arcades, with roll-moulded arches on round piers with spurs to bases. Clerestory windows recessed in pointed-arched panels with ashlar arches. Aisle windows have paired arches on slender shafts. Baptistry west of south porch has arch springing directly from brick pier. West door has ashlar arch to brick panel, blocked by inserted temporary screen. Sill, impost and arcade bands. Aisle and nave roofs have pierced wood frieze. FITTINGS: include Gothic wood reredos, linen fold panelling to sanctuary. North aisle has delicate wrought-iron screen, removed in 1970 from chancel arch and adapted to form chapel. Norman font removed from old parish church of St Germain (qv) at Marske-by-the-Sea and found early C20 being used as water trough: square, with restored plinth; squat angle shafts with scallop capitals and richly carved sides with spirals and wheels. At west end, in front of doorway, tall medieval cross with foliated pierced head, probably C13; shaft restored. Pine pews have shaped ends, pent kneelers and roll-moulded boarded backs. C20 chairs in choir. Funeral hatchments transferred from St Germain hang in north aisle. STAINED GLASS: of high quality includes east by Heatron, Butler and Bayne, showing Last Supper, Crucifixion and Resurrection, with well-drawn figures, in memory of Sophia Countess of Zetland, died 1865; north aisle glass includes west window signed Robert Burr & Sons, Westbourne Place, Paddington and Park Street Grosvenor Square. West rose window of very high quality medieval style glass, with geometric patterns and foliage in bright colours. MONUMENTS: brass plaque on inner face of baptistry pier states west window given by parishioners and other friends to commemorate Thomas, 2nd Earl of Zetland, 1796-1873, and his brother-in-law Henry Walker Yeoman, of Marske Hall, 1789-1875. Yeoman was Vicar of Marske. (VCH: Yorkshire North Riding, Vol II, 1923: 403; Lambert D and Sidaway GP: The Parish Church (St Mark) Marske-by-Sea; The Builder: Quoted in County Council typescript notes: 807-8).





Listing NGR: NZ6335822328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
475519
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Yorkshire North Riding: Volume II , (1923), 403
Lambert, D, Sidaway, G P, The Parish Church (St Mark) Marske by Sea

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16965/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].