CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL CHURCH OF ST PETER INCLUDING THE DODDRIDGE LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1385251
Date first listed:
19-Jan-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Sep-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER INCLUDING THE DODDRIDGE LIBRARY, PATERNOSTER ROW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1385251.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 01:49:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER INCLUDING THE DODDRIDGE LIBRARY, PATERNOSTER ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Barnstaple
National Grid Reference:
SS 55833 33223

Details

BARNSTAPLE

SS558332 PATERNOSTER ROW 684-1/8/209 (North side) 19/01/51 Church of St Peter including the Doddridge Library (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH LANE (West side) Church of SS Peter and Paul)

GV II*

Parish church. Probably late C12 or early C13, enlarged 1318. Spire added 1388-9; Doddridge Library 1667. Restored by Gilbert Scott from 1866 onwards, and by JO Scott in the 1880s. Tower, nave and chancel of random stone rubble; aisles, chancel chapels and Doddridge Library of coursed rubble. Limestone details. Slated roofs. Ribbed leaded spire. PLAN: nave: N and S aisles; N transept with tower in place of S transept; chancel; N and S chancel chapels; Doddridge Library adjoining N chancel chapel with entrance from Church Walk. Mostly Perpendicular windows restored in C19. EXTERIOR: Tudor-arched windows in N aisle. C19 S door with pointed arch; above it a blank panel in old Perpendicular surround with cinquefoil arch. Smaller S chancel door of similar date; above it an octagonal sundial with gilt lettering, including date 1732. Twisted broach spire with louvred belfry openings; these have triangular pediments with ball finials, 2 of the pediments dated 1636. Higher up on the E and W side are small gabled canopies, that to E with 2 bells. Doddridge Library has Tudor-arched doorway and 3-light stone-mullioned window with cinquefoiled heads to the lights, both probably C19. Upper storey has 2 windows, each of 3 lights with restored ovolo-moulded wood mullions. Between them is a moulded plaque inscribed BIBLIOTHECA DODDRIDGIANA 1667. The front is finished with a pair of moulded string courses having ashlar masonry between them and above them a crenellated parapet carved with quatrefoils and the town arms. INTERIOR: has C14-style nave and chancel arcades designed by Scott (carving by Harry Hems). Tower has two C14 pointed arches with quarter-round mouldings. Waggon roofs throughout, that to chancel boarded and with angels. Chancel and S chancel chapel have medieval niches with trefoiled heads, presumably piscinas originally; the second of these is unusual in having small side-niches with pointed heads. FITTINGS: C19 Gothic pulpit and font, the former with re-set medieval Barnstaple tiles beneath it. Organ with Gothic case and painted pipes, 1882 by JO Scott. Stained-glass tower window by Clayton & Bell; W window by WF Dixon. MONUMENTS: numerous C17 wall monuments, mostly to Barnstaple merchants; many have busts or whole figures in high relief. These include in N transept Thomas Horwood (d.1658), founder of the almshouses in Church Lane (qv). BELLS: 6 by John Briant, 1803; 2 Barwell trebles added in 1897. Restored 1980. Doddridge Library has part of a double-rib ceiling upstairs. (The Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon (2nd edition): London: 1989-: 150-1; The Ringing World: 1980-; Some notes on the Parish Church of St Peter, Barnstaple).



Listing NGR: SS5583333223

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485713
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Ringing World, (1980)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 150-151
Other
Some Notes on the Parish Church of St Peter, Barnstaple,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/13230/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].