WAR MEMORIAL CLOISTER AT SEDBERGH SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1384218
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1984
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Oct-1999
Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL CLOISTER AT SEDBERGH SCHOOL, STATION ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1384218.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 07:33:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL CLOISTER AT SEDBERGH SCHOOL, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Sedbergh
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SD 65528 91912

Details

SEDBERGH

SD6591 STATION ROAD, Sedbergh Town 162-1/20/435 (South side) 14/06/84 War Memorial Cloister at Sedbergh School (Formerly Listed as: BUSK LANE War Memorial Cloister at Sedbergh School)

GV II*

War memorial. 1924, by Hubert Worthington; with an addition of c1945-50. Sandstone ashlar. Built into the slope of the ground in front and below the Classroom Block (qv), so that the top forms a detached grassed forecourt to that building, with a flight of steps descending from its centre to the centre of the cloister facing south; and a memorial seat added on the north side of the forecourt a little to the north of the steps. The cloister has a wide U-plan: a 5-bay arcade flanked by short but wide 3-bay arcaded wings, all the arches round-headed. The main arcade has short square piers with a raised square panel on the front of each, moulded imposts and moulded heads to the arches with keystones run up to a continuous frieze, and a plain parapet. In the spandrels of the outer pair of arches are carved shields; the frieze is inscribed "THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE", and a raised panel in the centre of the parapet is inscribed "DVRA VIRVM NVTRIX". Each wing has a large central arch flanked by smaller window arches, with a pair of lion masks in the spandrels, and a raised panel on the parapet with inscription "MDCCCCXIV" (on the left) and "MDCCCXVIII" (on the right). The return sides of the parapets continue northwards to enclose the sides of a grassed garden. Inside the cloister each bay has a dome-vaulted ceiling, and the rear wall has a central archway to the steps flanked on each side by 4 bays of blind arcading. Each blind arch contains a wreathed panel with painted lists of names, the inner four (1914-18) totalling 248 names and the outer four (1939-45) totalling 192. Aligned with the top of the steps to the forecourt is a hexagonal 2-stage stone bench with inscriptions on alternate sides of the upper stage recording the names of 3 former pupils awarded the Victoria Cross in 1941 (2nd Lieut. G.W.Gunn and Major-General J.S.Campbell, both at Sidi Resegh, and Flg.Off.Kenneth Campbell at Brest). An exceptionally well conceived war memorial of great dignity, the descendng steps serving as a metaphor of interment, but leading to light. Forms group with classroom block (qv) to north and Powell Hall to north-west (qv).



Listing NGR: SD6552691910

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 3 February 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
484651
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 3 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/122005
War Memorials Register, accessed 3 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/457

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12879/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cross. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].