CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1381217
Date first listed:
01-Mar-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Nov-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1381217.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 02:56:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Warwick (District Authority)
Parish:
Royal Leamington Spa
National Grid Reference:
SP 32471 67332

Details

ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA

SP36NW CHURCH LANE, Lillington 1208-1/20/426 (South side) 01/03/49 Church of St Mary Magdalene (Formerly Listed as: VICARAGE ROAD, Lillington St Mary Magdalene's Church)

GV II*

Church. C14 origins to chancel and tower with C15 upper stage, otherwise mainly 1847 by JG Jackson of Leamington, builder William Bolland, and with east part of chancel of 1884. White and pink sandstone ashlar with plain-tile roof. PLAN: 4-bay nave with clerestory and aisles, the north aisle extends to west, south porch, 2-bay chancel with north Lady Chapel, north-east vestry and sanctuary; 3-stage west tower. EXTERIOR: tower has chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with off-sets; entrance to west end a plank door in 4-centred surround with hollow moulding; 3 cusped-light window with chamfered mullions and surround; 2-light belfry openings to each side with Y-tracery, band, battlements, pinnacles with finials. South porch, chamfered plinth, off-set angle buttresses; panelled door in pointed, double-chamfered arch, copings. Aisles: off-set buttresses to angles and between bays, chamfered plinth; 2-light windows with reticulated-type tracery, to east end of south aisle a 3-light window with curvilinear tracery to head. Chancel: south side has blocked round-arched entrance, two single cusped lights and 3-light window with Y-tracery to head; to east end a 3-light window with reticulated-typed tracery to head. East end of Lady Chapel has rose window. Vestry and sanctuary have 2-light windows with reticulated-style tracery to heads. INTERIOR: double-chamfered tower arch, partly concealed; nave has double-chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and responds. Chamfered chancel arch with hoodmould and foliate stops on octagonal responds with plain capitals and continuous impost band; chancel has sedilia and piscina. C15 octagonal font with shields in pointed quatrefoils. Stained glass by Kempe. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Wedgwood A: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-1990: 340).



Listing NGR: SP3247167332

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
481577
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 340

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14291/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].