55, QUENDON WAY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1376783
Date first listed:
18-Dec-1997
Statutory Address:
55, QUENDON WAY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1376783.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 10:53:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
55, QUENDON WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Tendring (District Authority)
Parish:
Frinton and Walton
National Grid Reference:
TM 24438 20720

Details

TM22SW FRINTON AND WALTON QUENDON WAY

1665/3/10010 No. 55

II

House. Designed in 1934 and built in 1935 by Oliver Hill in International Moderne style. Built of concrete with flat roof. Two storeys, front has two windows, a two storey large curved bay to the right hand side to Living Room and Principal Bedroom of six lights and a tripartite casement to left first floor. There is a concrete balcony with metal handrail in front of left hand bedroom connecting to principal bedroom with two doors on to balcony. Ground floor has original flush front door with circular cut out and original gauge doors. Rear elevation has four casements to first floor, including a tall staircase window, two casements on the ground floor and small concrete projection for storing timber, coal and a separate maid's toilet. Interior has L-shaped Living Room with 1930s plain marble fireplace, woodblock floors, original bronze curtain track and small wooden serving hatch through to kitchen. Kitchen has Warmsley Lewis wooden cupboards and is half tiled. Straight flight staircase with closed in balustrade leads to first floor which has a 1930s ceramic surround to electric fire with built in clock and bathroom retaining original fittings and green and black vitrilite wall covering. Many 1930s light fittings and original flush doors. This is the best preserved example of the twelve houses built by Oliver Hill at Frinton. It was originally called 'Dawn' and later 'Kelvedon'.



Listing NGR: TM2443820720

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469001
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14734/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].