This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1374702

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dilhorne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 274969

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 94 SE DILHORNE C.P. NEW ROAD (east side)

5/165 Church of All Saints 3.1.67

GV II*

Parish church. Late C13 fabric,altered C15 and extended and restored circa 1819. Coursed dressed and squared red sandstone; tiles, slated and lead roof with verge parapets, the nave and aisles on cornice. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. Tower: the principal feature of the church: stocky, octagonal and of 3 stepped-in stages with a parapet; squat, Perpendicular, round arch bell chamber openings of 2 lights set in square reveals on alternate faces. Small blind lancets to stages below. Nave: part slate roofed; clerestory and cornice of 1819 and four bays of pointed Y-tracery windows which appear sunken into aisle roofs. Aisles of 1819; low pitched leaded roofs; 4 bays on a string at cill level; pointed Y-tracery windows except to ends and west end of south aisle which are all 3 light, in C15 style; entrances set to west of centre with even quoin surround running round entire Tudor arched opening, deep reveal and double doors with overlight. Chancel: C15 with steeply pitched roof; two bays divided by two-stage buttresses, diagonal at angles; two light ogee-headed windows set in rectangular reveal to sides; east window of 3 trefoil-headed lights set in Tudor arched reveal; classical plaque set to north of window and a panel is situated below the east window flanked by the carved stone figures. Interior inaccessible at time of Resurvey. B.O.E., p. 116.

Listing NGR: SJ9705943362

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 116
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974)

National Grid Reference: SJ 97059 43362

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374702 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2017 at 04:03:09.

End of official listing