This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1374586

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Butterton

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 274413

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 05 NE BUTTERTON C.P. BUTTERTON

4/59 Church of St. Bartholomew 1.2.67.

G.V. II

Parish Church. 1871-3 by Ewan Christian, West spire 1879 by Sugden. Squared and coursed rubble with ashlar dressings; clay tile roofs with coped verges. 2 bay Chancel; 3 bay nave with south porch; North aisle; West tower with stone spire. Late C13 style. 2 gables to North aisle; West-Tower of 3 stages with offset plinth, belfry band moulded parapet band, crenellated parapet with crocheted corner pinnacles, gabled openings to spire. Interior: N, arcade on cylindrical columns; pointed Chancel arch springing from moulded corbels; pointed lower arch; Nave roof has scissor braces, Chancel roof is boarded. Fittings: Octagonal sandstone font of C1300; C17 oak chairs in West tower and Chancel. Wooden plaque in nave with inscription: "Mrs. Ruth Stubs / late of Butterton did by / her laft will give to the / Curate of this Church ye / fum of Ten Pounds to / be paid Yearly for ever / And the Yearly sum of / Five Pounds the Profits /of one half a Beaft-grafs / in the Clews to the poor / of Butterton for ever / The Rev. J. Read Curate /John Cantull Church / Warden 1775." B.O.E.Page 92.

Listing NGR: SK0759356580

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 92

National Grid Reference: SK 07593 56580

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374586 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 07:57:16.

End of official listing