This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1374077

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Acton Trussell and Bednall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Jan-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 271650

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 91 NW ACTON TRUSSELL, BEDNALL ACTON TRUSSELL AND TEDDESLEY HAY C.P. 3/2 Church of St. James

19.3.62 - II*

Parish Church. c1300 with later additions, restored 1869-70 by G.E. Street. Ashlar; plain tile roof with crested ridge tiles and coped verges. West tower with diagonal buttresses, 5-bay nave and chancel in one, south porch, north-east vestry. West tower: stages externally with parapet string, crenellated parapet and recessed spire of 1562; first stage has a 2- light chamfer mullioned west window dated 1565, pointed window above with Y-tracery and hood mould, belfry openings with Y-tracery, the 2 main nave windows have 2 lights and are separated by a buttress, the chancel window has 3 lights, pointed chamfered doorway to right of centre with small ogee headed window to left of it. Heavily restored north side, pointed nave windows with Y-tracery, pointed east window of 3 lights with reticulated tracery; gabled south porch with segmental pointed arch. Vestry: Mid-C19, north side has a Tudor-arch doorway and paired trefoil- headed windows to right, the east end has a re-set C14 window of 2-lights with reticulated tracery. Interior: Tall pointed and double chamfered tower arch; no division between nave and chancel; C19 king-post roof with braced collars, chamfered and stopped tie beams; piscina with ogee head and restored bowl; aumbry with restored base. Fittings: C19 font, circular with moulded base and arcaded bowl; C19 pulpit, wooden, semi-octagonal with arcaded sides; Medieval stone font in tower. Monuments: Richard Nevil d.1728, marble wall-plaque, aedicule with fluted Ionic pilasters, semi-circular pediment and coat of arms; Ann Richards d. 1821, wall plaque.

Listing NGR: SJ9373217455

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 93732 17455

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374077 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 07:59:01.

End of official listing