This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1374035

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Codsall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Jun-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 271431

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CODSALL C.P. CHURCH ROAD SJ 80 SE (North West side)

8/123 Church of St. Nicholas 27.6.63

- II*

Parish Church. C12 S. doorway; C14 tower; the rest 1846-8 by E. Banks of Wolverhampton. Ashlar; clay tile roofs with fishscale bands, Single cell chancel; 5 bay nave; aisles; south porch; north vestry; West Tower with diagonal buttresses. West Tower: Early to mid C14; large west window of 3 lights with cusped intersecting tracery and plain hood-mould stopped with 2 large grotesque heads; strings at belfry level terminated on each face by grotesque heads; belfry openings of 2 lights with cinque- foil heads; crenellated parapet, restored with corner finials, South Elevation: bay divisions of aisle marked by stepped buttresses; all windows of aisle and chancel are of 2 cinquefoil headed lights with reticulated or flowing tracery above; returned hood moulds; gabled South porch with pointed outer doorway, to a reset South doorway with round head of 2 orders, both with chevron ornament and a fnliated hood mould, flanked by nook shafts with carved capitals; the chancel had an ogee headed door to left with ogee hand mould. Interior: octagonal piers with C14 style capitals to pointed nave arcade of 2 chamfered orders; tall pointed chancel arch; open timber roofs with scissor trusses in nave and aisles. Monument: Walter Wrottesley died 1630; recumbant effigy, 5 kneeling figures on sides of tomb chest. Stained glass mainly C19.

Listing NGR: SJ8661804051

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 86618 04051

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1374035 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 12:32:38.

End of official listing