This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1371598

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Abthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235024

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ABTHORPE MAIN STREET SP6446 (East side) 14/6 Church of St. John the Baptist

GV II

Church. Rebuilt 1870-1 by Ewan Christian incorporating some of the medieval structure. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone with limestone dressings and slate roofs with ornamental ridge tiles. Chancel, vestry, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and north-west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light Decorated style east window with hood mould; quatrefoil window in stone-coped gable above. Vestry to north with one-light east window with pointed trefoil head and single lancet window to north. Aisles overlap chancel. Nave and aisles are under one roof. North aisle has 3-light window to north with reticulated tracery whose head is in a gable, flanked by smaller 2-light Decorated style windows, another similar window further west, all with hood moulds. South aisle has similar composition to south and 2-light east window with quatrefoil in head. South porch has double-chamfered doorway with hood mould, one-light windows east and west with cusped heads and stone-coped gable with kneelers. South door within has quadrant moulding and hollow chamfer and hood mould. West front has 3-light Decorated style window, flanked by 2-light windows with quatrefoils to heads, all with hood moulds and low offset buttresses either side of central window. 2-stage north-west tower has polygonal stair turret projection to south-west with small rectangular chamfered windows lighting stair, quatrefoil windows at top and ridged stone roof. Doorway to north with semi-circular responds, moulded capitals and wave-moulded arch. North door within, similar to south door. 2-light bell-openings with quatrefoils in heads and hood moulds, corbel table, spire with one tier of lucarnes and pyramidal corner pinnacles. Interior: chancel has a piscina to north with cusped ogee head, another to south with pointed-arched head, both probably medieval and re-used. Nave has 4-bay arcades, medieval to north, with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. C17 moulded octagonal font. C19 communion rail with fine wrought-iron supports. Stained glass east and west windows, that to east signed Mayer of Munich. Wall monument to Joseph Key d.1783 with incised slate inscription in stone surround. Incised slate wall monument to Reverend Richard Smith d.1778, another to Reverend John Jones d.1793. Incised slate wall monument in stone surround recording parish charities and their donors erected 1737. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.75; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928).

Listing NGR: SP6494246516

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 75
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)

National Grid Reference: SP 64942 46516

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371598 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 07:55:56.

End of official listing