Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371416.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2020 at 14:43:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 26713 76910


CRAMLINGTON CRAMLINGTON VILLAGE NZ 27 NE (South side) 4/61 Church of St. Nicholas 24.1.85 GV II Parish Church, 1868 by Austin and Johnson, adapted from earlier Dobson design. Squared stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slates except for Lakeland slates on south aisle; red tile ridge cresting. 4-bay aisled nave with west tower and north porch. 2-bay chancel with organ chamber and vestry on north. Free C13 style. Stepped buttresses, plinth and sill string. Nave has double and triple lancets on north and south, 2-light plate-tracery windows in ends of aisles, gabled north porch with boarded double doors, showing scrolly ironwork, in moulded arch; and clerestorey of sexfoiled circles. Tall 3-stage tower with north-west stair turret, 2-light west window and bell openings of 2 lights within multi-chamfered arch, in sunk panel below carved cornice. Clockface on west of 2nd stage. Chancel has wall arcade on south above high-set string, incorporating two 2-light windows; angle buttresses, and 3-light plate tracery east window. Set against south wall, headstone of Dorothy Gillespy d.1776 with hand holding book in front of arrow and trumpet; scrolled foliage at sides, good lettering.

Interior: Nave arcades show pointed arches of 2 orders on round piers with foliage-carved caps in late C12 style. Tall tower arch of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. Similar chancel arch, on responds of paired columns, has hoodmould with headstops. Arch to organ chamber on foliage-carved responds. Trefoil- headed aumbry in chancel. Roofs with arch-braced collar-beam trusses, those in nave on moulded corbels. Contemporary stone reredos with St. Cuthbert's Cross and symbols of evangelists. Rood loft of 1896 with carved pendant tracery. Romanesque font with inlaid marble panels; small C18 font in north aisle with cable-moulded bowl on octagonal shaft. Funeral hatchment of Adam Mansfield de Cardonnel-Lawson, 1820, in south aisle. Memorial to George Henry Shum-Storey, 1869, by font; marble sculpture of angel and cross. Windows by Cottier,1868 in north and south (wise and foolish virgins) aisles.

The medieval chapel of St. Nicholas, rebuilt in late C17, stood at NZ 26717688, a short distance south of the present church.

Listing NGR: NZ2671376910


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03672/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Erik Borg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].