CHURCH OF ST BLAISE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1368648
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BLAISE, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368648.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:52:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BLAISE, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Milton
National Grid Reference:
SU 48536 92417

Details

HILTON HIGH STREET SU4892 (West side) 8/155 Church of Saint Blaise 09/02/66 GV II*

Church. C14 west tower and south porch; nave, north aisle, and chancel c.1849 by Henry Woodyer. Coursed stone rubble to tower; squared coursed stone to nave, aisle, and chancel; C19 plain-tile roof; roof of tower not visible, 4-bay nave and north aisle, 2-bay chancel and west tower. Gothic Revival style. C19 plank door to 2 centre arched doorway to left of nave, with stone-vaulted stone porch. Cl9 Perpendicular tracery windows to nave, aisle, and chancel. Tower: 2-light plate tracery louvred openings to each side of bell chamber stage. Battlemented parapet. Interior; arch-braced collar truss roofs to chancel, north aisle, and part of nave. Plaster vault to rest of nave. C19 reredos, altar, altar rail and painted inscriptions to chancel. C19 stone pulpit with C20 alterations to right of nave, Moved C19 stone font to north aisle, History: Bryant Barrett of Milton Manor House (q.v.) built his family vault onto the Church in 1769. Bishop Challoner was buried here in 1791, until his remains were removed in 1947 to Westminster Cathedral. (Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p178; Milton Manor, Oxfordshire by S. Mockler, undated)

Listing NGR: SU4853692417

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
250018
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mockler, S, Milton Manor Oxfordshire
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 178

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00464/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr David J Mazey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].