CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1366233
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1965
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCHPOOL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366233.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:19:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCHPOOL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
West Down
National Grid Reference:
SS 51646 42023

Details

SS 54 SW WEST DOWN CHURCHPOOL (north side) West Down 4/215 Church of Holy Trinity (formerly listed 25.2.65 as Parish Church of St Calixtus)

GV I

Parish Church, C13 nave and south transept, C14 north transept. Chancel entirely rebuilt 1675. West tower entirely rebuilt 1712. Restored 1874 by William White. Rubble with larger roughly dressed stonework to tower. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles and coped gable ends. Cruciform plan. Tower of 3 stages with setback buttresses and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Pointed arched bellopenings with 2 trefoil-headed lights on each side. West window of 2-light trefoil-headed lights above pointed arch doorway with double roll-moulded surround and C19 door. Single light window in second stage. Plaque on south side records 'The Tower was taken down to foundations in 1711 and rebuilt 1712. South side of nave has 3-light window and C13 2-light lancets with hoodmould. C19 pointed arch to south porch doorway with corbels to inner arch. C19 roof. C13 plain chamfered pointed arched inner doorway with C19 plank door. To right above porch is 2-light window with hoodmould. 2 square-headed windows to north side of nave each with 2 trefoil-headed lights and hoodmould each side of buttress. Blocked C13 pointed arched north doorway to left. South transept has 3 stepped lancets to south side. Hollow-moulded pointed arched doorway to west side. Single lancet to east side and tiny lancet in the squint across the angle of transept and chancel. 2-light chancel window to left with hoodmould and round-arched single-light window to right flanking blocked pointed arched doorway with plaque above, recording chancel was "Rebuilded in 1675". 3-light east window. Single trefoil-headed light to east wall of vestry and 2 trefoil-headed lights on north side. North transept north wall has an early C14 3-light window with ogee reticulation and pointed hoodmould with label stops. 2 trefoil-headed light window with hoodmould on east side. Interior: Plain unmoulded round arched tower arch. Unmoulded pointed arch to south transept, double-hollow chamfered arch to north transept. Pointed chancel arch with engaged colonnettes with lipped capitals and corbelled hoodmould to each face. C19 roof to nave with intermediate arch-braced trusses with carved bosses half way up the arches. Unusual north transept roof, open wagon-roof of trefoil section with moulded central rib. Arch-braced C19 roof to south transept. Chancel roof has 3 trusses similar to those in north transept, but also purlins, ashlar pieces and corbelled out wall-posts, moulded pointed arches to south transeptal squint. Semi-elliptical moulded arched recess to north wall of north transept with ball flower ornamentation in the moulding and with label stops, contains wooden effigy to Sir John Stowford in attitude of prayer dressed in robes of Sergeant at Law. Cinquefoil cusped piscina in chancel. Carved C19 wooden reredos with painted commandment boards. C19 nave furnishings Romanesque font, square bowl on squat round stem and octagonal base. Weathered stone crest on west wall of south transept. Wall monument on north wall of nave to Isaac family Cl7 restored 1881 with original painted decoration. Broken-scrolled pediment with two frontal demi-figures holding hands in double-arched recess.

Listing NGR: SS5164742029

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
98462
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/12630/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].