CROSS 15 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL, CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1362277
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
CROSS 15 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL, CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1362277.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2020 at 17:29:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CROSS 15 METRES SOUTH OF CHANCEL, CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Mitton
National Grid Reference:
SD 71564 38954

Details

GREAT MITTON SD 73 NW

12/81 Cross, 15 metres south of chancel, Church of All Hallows - GV II Cross, 1897 with C14th head, sandstone. Base of square plan, broached to a tapering octagonal shaft. Base inscribed: '...to commemorate the XIII hundredth year of the reintroduction of Christianity...'. Circular head has crucifixion on east side. West side has second crucifixion, with Christ flanked by 2 figures under decoration of trefoils and crocketed finials. Whitaker's History of Whalley mentions the head of a large Gothic cross 'lately' dug up in 1801.

Listing NGR: SD7156438954

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183253
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Whitaker, T D, A History of the Original Parish of Whalley, (1876)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/14630/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].