CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1360855
Date first listed:
01-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360855.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2020 at 00:34:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Melton (District Authority)
Parish:
Freeby
National Grid Reference:
SK 80384 20122

Details

SK 82 SW FREEBY MAIN STREET

(north side) 1/37 Church of St. Mary 1.1.68

I

Parish church. Early C14, tower and clerestory C15, chancel raised C15, aisles rebuilt in restoration of 1893. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and lead and slate roofs. Chamfered sill band and eaves, coped east gables with kneelers and crosses. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has moulded plinth and sill band, 2 string courses, 4 shallow clasp buttresses with setoffs, lozenge frieze, coved eaves, 4 gargoyles and crenellated parapet with 4 crocketed pinnacles. First stage has, to west, a restored double lancet. Second stage has, to west, a chamfered rectangular light. Third stage has on each side a cusped double lancet bell opening with a quatrefoil head and hood mould. Clerestory, 3 bays, has on each side 3 untraceried cusped double lancets with Tudor arched heads and hood moulds. North aisle, 3 bays, has 2 diagonal buttresses and an almost central pair flanking a restored, moulded C14 door. To east, a restored ogee double lancet with flat head. West end has an ogee double lancet with a chamfered reveal and flat head. East end has a similar window with a coved reveal. All the openings have hood moulds, mostly with mask stops. Chancel, 2 bays, has a pair of diagonal buttresses at the east end, with setoffs. North side has to west, a cusped transomed single lancet with hood mould. East end has a C19 ogee 5 light lancet with panel tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South side has to west, a C14 ogee double lancet with flat head, and to east, an early C14 ogee double lancet, both with hood moulds. South aisle, 3 bays, has 2 diagonal buttresses with setoffs. South aisle has 2 restored untraceried ogee double lancets. East end has a C14 triple lancet with intersecting tracery. West end has a panel traceried ogee double lancet. All these lancets have hood moulds, mostly with mask stops. South porch has 2 flanking buttresses and coped gable with cross. Chamfered C14 doorway with octagonal responds and hood mould. In each side, a single unglazed ogee lancet. Interior has 2 stone benches and a C19 arch braced common rafter roof. Early C14 south doorway has shafts with fillet moulding and hood mould with mask stops. C19 door. Interior has double chamfered and rebated tower arch with hood mould and round responds. Tower chamber west window has C19 patterned glass. 3 bay early C14 north arcade has restored octagonal piers and responds with moulded bases and capitals. Similar south arcade has piers with 4 filleted main shafts and 4 subsidiary shafts, and octagonal responds. Moulded bases and capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. North aisle has sill band and windows with patterned stained glass. North side has a plain aumbry at the east end. Lean-to roof, C19, with arch braces. South aisle has similar sill band and roof. South east end has a square aumbry. South side has fragments of wall painting. Chancel has a double chamfered and rebated arch with octagonal responds. North side has to east an aumbry with heavily moulded surround. South side has an early C14 roll moulded aumbry. C19 panelled roof with arch braces and moulded wall shafts. Fittings include 4 C16 benches with poppyheads, C17 table, C18 chest, C13 square font with a cross on each side, on an octagonal stem. C19 brass eagle lectern, chairs and pulpit. Royal Arms, 1835. Memorials include pedimented marble and slate tablet on brackets, 1711, and arch top slate tablet, 1734. Marble and slate war memorial tablet, 1919.

Listing NGR: SK8038420122

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
189809
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/154041

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14049/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].