Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360794.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 20:33:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Harborough (District Authority)
North Kilworth
National Grid Reference:
SP 61604 83192



5/29 Church of St Andrew 11/01/55 - II*

Parish church. C13, early C14, mid C19 additions, restored 1864- 5 by Joseph Clarke. Rubblestone with limestone ashlar dressings. Lead and slate roofs. West tower with recessed spire, nave, north aisle, south aisle, north porch, chancel with organ chamber. Plinth. Buttresses with set-offs. 3-stage tower, lower stage early C14, with plinth, angle buttresses, embattled parapet and 3 string courses. West elevation: chamfered, pointed arch 2-light window with hoodmould with headstops. Above, in 2nd stage, a C20 clock face and above in 3rd stage a chamfered, four- centred arch 2-light louvred bell-opening with transom and hoodmould. North elevation has similar clock face and bell- opening, south elevation has tall, thin lancet in 2nd stage, and bell-opening above. East elevation has similar bell-opening. Octagonal spire, rebuilt in 1862, has stone banding, and 2-light lucarne with a single light lucarne above, both with pointed hoods, on 4 sides. Weathercock. Nave has lead roof, coped parapets and gable. Clerestory has 3 quatrefoil lights in square frames on north and south sides, the north side is C14, south side C19. C19 south aisle of Charnwood granite, has lead, tall plinth, plain cornice and continuous band. West wall has chamfered, pointed arch 2-light window with hoodmould and stops. Polygonal chimney on north-west corner. North wall has 3, chamfered, pointed arch windows with hoodmoulds and stops. East wall has similar window, with headstops. C14 north aisle has lead roof, plain cornice and continuous string course. West wall has chamfered, pointed arch single-light window. North wall, from west to east: C19 north porch, lead roof, coped gable with kneelers and cross finial. Heavily moulded, pointed arch doorway with double gates. East and west walls each have a strip of 5 trefoiled lights in a chamfered rectangular frame. Stone benches inside. Double-chamfered, pointed arch south doorway with double plank doors. To east, 2, moulded, pointed arch 2- light windows with reticulated tracery and hoodmoulds with headstops. East wall has moulded, pointed arch, 3-light windows with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. C13 chancel has graded slate roof and coped east gable with kneelers and cross finial. North wall has tall plinth, and from west to east: a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with plate tracery and hoodmould, then a C19, heavily moulded, pointed arch priest's doorway, with shafts with capitals and bases, hoodmould with stops, and plank door. Then another, similar, 2-light window, followed by a buttress. South wall has string course, and from west to east; a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with transom and plate tracery, then C19 organ chamber with coped gable, followed by a similar window to those of north wall, then a buttress. East wall has low plinth, sill band, and 1856, chamfered, pointed arch 3-light window with headmould and stops, flanked by 2 buttresses. INTERIOR:C14 triple-chamfered, pointed tower arch, with keel- moulded responds with capitals and basis. 3-bay nave arches, C14 north arcade has double-chamfered, pointed arches with continuous hoodmould, and polygonal piers and responds. C19 south arcade has moulded, pointed arches with continuous hoodmould and compound piers and responds with annulets, foliage capitals and bases. Plain, segmental arch doorway to former rood loft on north wall near chancel arch. North aisle has chamfered, trefoiled piscina in south east corner. Double-chamfered, pointed chancel arch with polygonal responds with capitals and bases. Chancel has south-west window with detached nook-shafts, with annulets and sill lowered to form seat. Then a mid C20 organ followed by a south-east window with nook-shafts and a moulded, pointed arch, piscina in south-east corner. North-west window and north-east window similarly treated, with nook-shafts. Double-moulded, four-centred arch, north doorway with shafts with capitals and bases. C19 east wall has tall, plain niche to north, and east window with polished marble shafts with capitals and bases and hoodmould with carved stops. C19 reredos, altar table, altar rails, chairs, pews, stalls, lectern, font with square bowl on 5 short marble shafts with foliage capitals and bases, C16 polygonal wineglass pulpit with traceried panels and stem with moulded capital and base. MONUMENTS: north aisle: C20 stone wall memorial on north wall. C20 stone wall tablet carved with names of rectors of North Kilworth, near north doorway. South aisle: marble wall memorial to Lieut. Hyde Parker Dobson (d1836); marble memorial to Admiral Dobson (d1847) with shrouded cannons in relief; 2, early C20 brass memorial plaques: WWI memorial, all on south wall. Chancel: marble wall memorial to Mrs Jane Belgrave (d1800) with urn and shroud in relief, on south wall. 4, C20, brass memorial plaques to Belgrave family on north wall. Late C19 brass plaque to another Belgrave below north-west window. Marble wall memorial to Elizabeth Pochin (d1831) also on north wall. C19 roofs. Minton tiles in sanctuary. Red tiled floors. C19 stained glass, west window 1869, and south east window in south aisle 1878, both by Hardman. East window 1856, by Holland of Warwick.

(Buildings of England: Leicestershire: p. 335)

Listing NGR: SP6160483192


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 335


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00850/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].