CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1360702
Date first listed:
11-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360702.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:17:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Harborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Dunton Bassett
National Grid Reference:
SP 54759 90438

Details

DINTON BASSETT CHURCH LANE (East Side) SP59 SW 3/16 Church of All Saints 11.1.55

GV II* Parish Church. Mostly late C13 to early C14, and restored c1880. Parts of granite rubble, parts limestone, with ashlar limestone dressing throughout. West tower and spire nave with north aisle and clerestory, chancel. The tower is of random granite rubble, four stages high with clasping buttresses to first and second stages which are angled thereafter and are capped by carved heads. Early C14 west doorway with moulded arch and worn corbel heads, 2-light foiled window above. Two tier paired foiled bellchamber lights. Embattled parapet with corner pinnacles with fleurons. Recessed spire with lucarnes. The buttressed south wall of the nave is of small grade uncoursed rubble construction with Victorian porch or vestry added, and one early Decorated window with intersecting tracery and a Perpendicular 3-light window. The C15 clerestory windows are simple squared openings of 2 lights with straight chamfered mullions. Eastern-most buttress of the nave is dated 1622 with the initials IF and WA. Chancel, which is entirely a late C19 rebuild, though probably re-using some of the existing fenestration is of granite rubble with fishscale tiled roof. The south windows are Early English Y-traceried lights, the east window a shallow arched 4-lights. North aisle seems to have been partially rebuilt in granite rubble at its east end, but the rest of the fabric is of small grade uncoursed rubble. The eastern cusped and hollow chamfered lancet is probably C13. Two of the north windows are in a Decorated style with many cusped lights. One of them is probably a renewal but the other has grotesque corbel heads, and a curious discontinuity or projection in the fabric of the wall beneath it. The north-west window seems to be C13, 2-lights of plate tracery. One gargoyle to aisle and one in clerestory above. Small blocked round arched north doorway. Inside, the west tower arch is clasped by the return wall of the west end of the nave, and is a narrow triple chamfered archway with semi-octagonal responds. North arcade of three bays, late C13, the double chamfered arches are on piers with an unusual section: each consists of four grouped semi-octagonal shafts. Corbel heads from a contemporary roof rest in the spandrels. Chancel arch is Victorian in a late C13 style with semi-circular responds and roll moulded capitals. Nave roof is C15: tie beams with traceried panels in the angles with the low pitched roof. Each tie beam has a carved boss representing angels, a wheatsheaf etc., and the deeply moulded purlins and ridge piece are of the same date. The chancel is Victorian with fittings contemporary with it including a panelled reredos. North chancel chapel has late C13 archway from aisle with cylindrical shafts and capitals. C12 font on modern base. Stained glass of the late Cl9 in west window of north aisle and in north chancel chapel where it is dated 1863, with lozenges containing flowers and the symbols of the Evangelists incorporated. Pictorial chancel east window, c1880. Some mediaeval benches which have been ascribed to the C14 were removed for restoration at the time of the re-survey.

Listing NGR: SP5475990438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
191165
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/07079/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Paterson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].