CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1360627
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1360627.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Aug-2020 at 06:53:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Harborough (District Authority)
Parish:
King's Norton
National Grid Reference:
SK 68905 00494

Details

KING'S NORTON

SK 60 SE

5/63 Church of St. John the Baptist

29.12.66

GV I

Church. 1757-75. By John Wing the Younger, of Leicester, for William Fortrey, the Squire of King's Norton. Ashlar with parapetted roof. W tower with nave and chancel under one roof. In Gothic Revival style with plinth, buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs, and the windows with ogee hood moulds and label stops. W tower of 4 stages. W doorway and various windows, quatrefoil and cusped diamond openings in lower 3 stages. 3 friezes of quatrefoils, circles with wheels of mouchettes, and cusped triangles, 4 paired 2-light bell openings, machicolated frieze, cornice frieze, openwork parapet of quatrefoils and crocketted pinnacles. A crocketted spire was destroyed by lightning in 1850. The nave has 7 2-light windows either side, with transoms and Reticulated tracery. Above is a cusped triangle frieze, an openwork parapet of quatrefoils, and crocketted pinnacles. On E end 3 windows, all with Late Geometrical tracery. Very fine interior laid out on collegiate plan and contemporary. W gallery on Roman Doric columns. 3-decker pulpit at E end-of nave with gates either side to chancel. These and communion rail in Gothick style. Carved wooden reredos. Gothick font. Box pews. Royal Arms on canvas. Clock and chiming machine dated 1765 and inscribed to Joseph Eayre of St. Neots who cast most of the bells. On N side projecting from wall a finely carved stone monument and protecting wrought iron railing. Over pedestal with inscription panel to John Smalley, died 1763, and wife, a coat of arms with broken pediment over and urn with flame finial to either side. 'Of the churches of the Early Gothic Revival this is one of the most remarkable in England ... The whole and especially the tower show a seriousness of purpose not surpassed before 1800.... The interior is wonderfully complete and unchanged' Pevsner. King's Norton Parish Church guide, Leicester, 1976.

Listing NGR: SK6890500494

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
190725
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04380/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Haigh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].