Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351239.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:22:51.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

New Forest (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 45754 03553


FAWLEY CHURCH LANE SU 40 SE 13/1 Church of All Saints 8.10.59 GV I Parish church. Possibly Saxon, certainly early Norman, much enlarged late C12, remodelled early C14, restored 1844 and 1866 by H Woodyer, damaged by bombing 1940 and restored 1954 by R Blacking. Rubble stone, partly rendered, stone dressings, old plain tile roofs. Plan of late C12 chancel and north chapel, chancel lengthened early C14 and south chapel added, nave of early C12 origin remodelled late C12 when south-east tower added (presumably with balancing north transept), aisles were added early C13, C19 west porch and window, chancel and north chapel rebuilt C20. East end of chancel has C20 reconstruction of pointed 3-light geometric window. Underneath is window frame of supposedly Saxon round-headed window found during C20 rebuilding. Chapels have c1300 3-light pointed reticulated east windows. On their sides are squareheaded 2-light reticulated windows. Tower of 3 stages has unaltered c1175 lower stage, on south tall roundheaded lancet. Moulded string course to C15 rebuilt stages. On 2nd stage to north and east, small squareheaded trefoiled windows. On top stage squareheaded 2-light bell-openings. Over plan parapet. Aisles have early C14 wide trefoiled lancets, some restored. Plain C14 south door. At west end of nave is mid C19 gabled Norman porch. Over it C19 perpendicular 3-light window, high-set. Inside chancel, north arcade, north chapel and east wall largely rebuilt C20. 2 bay north arcade of pointed chamfered arches on round piers with scalloped capitals and diagonal patterning on face of abacus. Chancel arch is mid C12 from earlier church, low roundheaded with slight chamfer and moulded abaci. 3 bay south arcade of pointed chamfered arches on round piers with moulded capitals. Arch from south chapel to tower is C19, narrow and roundheaded. Other arches to tower are restored but have varied scalloped capitals, sawtooth patterns on abaci. Nave arches of 4 bays have pointed chamfered arches on round piers with moulded capitals. At west end is C12 doorway of plain inner order and outer order with roll-mould springing from nook-shafts with scalloped capitals. Arch has thick zig-zag moulded between inner intersecting diagonal moulded and outer fleuron moulding. Roofs have barrel ceilings. Nave walls have line of stone corbels below wallplate. C17 pulpit with carved panels. VCH; Vol 3; 1908; p295-6 - Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p231-3.

Listing NGR: SU4584303263


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 295-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 231-3


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10085/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alec Howard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].