CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1351203
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, FARNHAM ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351203.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 11:12:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, FARNHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
East Hampshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Liss
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 77051 28679

Details

LISS FARNHAM ROAD SU 72 NE West Liss 10/7 Church of St Peter 16.3.54 GV II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C17 and restoration of 1864. C13 chancel (restored) with a small north vestry, C13 nave of 3 bays with a south aisle, south porch (1639) and C13 west tower. Walls of ironstone with stone dressings; quoins;'stepped buttresses to the nave, lancets, 2 Perpendicular windows to the nave, a mullion and transom C17 window at the west end of the aisle, triple lancets to the east of the chancel (c19) and the aisle (C16), brick porch in Flemish bond. Tile roof. The tower has a bell stage and broach spire,, all shingled. Interior: octagonal columns with moulded caps, classical wall monuments of 1732, 1762, 1764, 1770, 1776, 1777 and 1839, Victorian Perpendicular font. The gable to the porch has painted lettering, commemorating its gift by Henry James, 1639.

Listing NGR: SU7712828438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
143205
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15640/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Eric Skipper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].