CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1351171
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351171.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:18:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
East Hampshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Steep
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 74588 25298

Details

STEEP CHURCH ROAD SU 72 NW 9/49 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 16.3.54 GV II* Parish church. C12, C13, C14, 1838 and 1875. Rubble walls of different dates, some cemented sections, stone dressings, buttresses at the west end. Tile roof. Nave and chancel, with south aisle (four bays) of 1180, north chapel and west tower added but later (c.1200) merged as a wide north aisle, chancel renewed C13, upper part of tower 1875 by R W Edis, c19 north and south porches. The exterior has lancets, some of the C13, with a cinquefoil above the west end of the nave. The prominent bell tower has a steeple with exaggerated broaches, a timber-framed bell stage, and battered sides hung with scalloped tiles. Inside, the arcades are supported by cylindrical columns, the earlier on the south side with scalloped caps, the north having moulded caps: there are remains of the rood stair. A late medieval roof has king posts (the nave with modern tie-beams). The C14 font is hexagonal on six short shafts around a central shaft. There are wall monuments of 1740, 1741, 1743, 1756, 1780, 1820, 1829 and others of the early c19. A window contains etched glass, as a memorial to the poet Edward Thomas.

Listing NGR: SU7464025294

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
143244
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06197/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul T. Currie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].