CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1351138
Date first listed:
31-Jul-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, STATION ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1351138.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 04:19:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
East Hampshire (District Authority)
Parish:
East Tisted
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 70130 32281

Details

EAST TISTED STATION ROAD SU 73 SW 5/6 Church of St James (Formerly listed as Church 31.7.63 of St James the Apostle)

GV II*

Parish church. Of medieval origin, mainly a rebuild of 1846. Stone and slate. A building in Decorated style, with symmetrical treatment; nave of 3 bays with aisles, chancel with north (vestry) and south chapels, and west tower with entrance door at the south side. Plain roofs. The walls are of coursed flint with Bath stone dressings; crenellated parapet with finials at the corners, stepped buttresses (diagonal at the corners), plinth, coupled windows with reticulate tracery. The east walls are of malmstone with single-light east windows to the chapels and a 4-light east window with flowing tracery. The tower has 3 stages (the lowest part incorporating some C14 work), with decorated parapet, corner finials above stepped buttresses (diagonal to the south west), octagonal stair turret at the north-west corner, and doorway of recessed Orders, with an ogee hood-mould. Inside, the fittings are Victorian, with an octagonal font and octagonal nave columns. The building has been designed to accommodate important tombs from the old church, with recesses at the east end of the aisles and in the centre of the aisles (the middle bay is an architectural framework). The south aisle east recess contains the panelled table tomb of Elizabeth and John Norton (c1530) with an arched canopy and heraldic device. The north aisle east recess has the tomb of Sir John Norton (1686), with a recumbent figure in armour resting on a table tomb, a background panel with architectural surround, and heraldic top-piece. A mid C16 monument occupies the middle recess of the north aisle, being an Ionic framework above a panelled table tomb, and 2 kneeling figures (of Anne and John Norton). The middle of the south aisle has the Commandments in gold Gothic letters. Small wall monuments are in the south aisle, of 1766, 1797, 1809, 1816 and 1821. The tower contains a wall monument of 1731, above small brasses of 1615 and 1829, flanked by painted bequest panels of 1760 and 1822. There is a Royal Coat of Arms of 1706.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
142961
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15487/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jennifer Graham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].