CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1350974
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350974.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 15:26:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
New Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Fordingbridge
National Grid Reference:
SU 14515 13813

Details

SU 1413, 16/6

FORDINGBRIDGE, CHURCH STREET, Church of St Mary

30.09.64

GV

I

Parish church. C12 origins, mid C13 rebuilding, adding to chancel central-south vestry and north-west chapel, and aisles to nave, chapel shortly after extended to east; in C15 aisles rebuilt with porches and east tower to north aisle, nave given clerestories; restored 1901-1903 by C F Ponting, when vestry rebuilt with infill to east. Flint, some ironstone, ironstone dressings, later Chilmark, tower ashlar, lead and plain-tile roof. Plan of chancel with north chapel and south vestries, nave with north and south aisles, tower at east of north aisle, north porch with parvise over, and south porch. Chancel has east C13 3-stepped lancet window, outer arch on detached shaft. On south wall lancets, gabled vestry with similar. North chapel has C19 5-light Dec east window and north late C13 2-light trefoiled bar-tracery windows, and tomb recess. 3-stage tower, to north angle buttresses and slightly higher stair turret, crenellated parapet. Nave clerestory has 2-light trefoiled window. Flat-roofed aisles have C14 and C15 windows. North porch C15 with 5-centred archway, now glazed, over 2-light window to parvise. At west 4-centred door with recesses each side, over large cinquefoiled 5-light transomed window.

Inside chancel C13 rear arches with hoodmoulds on leaf-stops. Chapel arcade three bays on shafted piers, east arch later. On south wall trefoiled piscina, and priest's door to vestry and monument 1638 to Philip Clifford. Chapel has C15 good hammerbeam roof with angels against hammers, tracery above hammers and cusping below. On pier of tower monument 1801 to J B Coventry Bulkeley. Chancel arch C13 2-centred, renewed capitals. In nave beside brass on timber frame 1568 to Bulkeley family. Nave arcades 4-bay with round piers and imposts. C15 queen-post roof. In south aisle C14 Purbeck octagonal font. VCH; vol 4; 1911; p573-5. Buildings of England; Pevsner; 1966; p235.

Listing NGR: SP1585918667

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
143947
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 573-5
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 235

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01703/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pauline Thornton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].