CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1350825
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350825.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:20:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Bishops Sutton
National Grid Reference:
SU 60599 32016

Details

SU 63 SW BISHOPS SUTTON CHURCH LANE

3/23 CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

5.12.55 GV I

Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C18, C19. Rubble flint with stone and some brick dressings, once rendered, old plain tile roof, weatherboarded bell turret. Nave C12, narrower Chancel late C13, with demolished C14 building to N, W bell turret C18 S porch, C19 N vestry opposite. Chancel rebuilt late C13 has E window of 3 stepped trefoiled lancets under enclosing arch, single trefoiled half way along side walls. On S wall W of lancet small C13 pointed doorway, and large window with C19 2-light perpendicular tracery. Nave c1150 has on side walls 2 original plain round headed lights set high on walls either side of doorway. Norman S doorway in carved chalk rare example of beak-head ornament; semicircular arches of 2 orders, chamfered label, nook shafts with scalloped capitals to outer order. Old door with strap hinges. N doorway, now in vestry plainer with moulded wedges, not beak-heads. At E end of S wall tall lancet c1220 restored C19. W window C14 2-light uncusped and in gable similar lancet. Bell turret square weatherboarded on timber-frame from inside nave with 2 small openings at top on each side, hipped roof, and weathervane. C18 gabled brick S porch with segmental arch, C19 gabled flint vestry opposite. Inside chancel moulded rear arch to E window, blocked C13 window in NE corner, C14 squint from demolished N chapel or vestry, in SE corner C13 trefoiled piscina recess with 3 drains. On either side of E window C14 painted dedication crosses but C19 plaster covered more paintings. On floor is C16 brass of knight and lady. C17 altar rails with vertically summetrical balusters. Slate tablet 1727 to Jane Venables. Monument 1776 to John Wight with Corinthian frame and cartouche. C17 arch braced roof. Chancel arch C12 rebuilt, pointed with 2 square orders and to W nook shafts with scalloped capitals without abaci. In SE corner of nave wide splayed c1220 lancet has circular piscina in sill. Bell turret supported on 4 massive timbers at W end of nave. Near S door is C18 tall stone baluster font with moulded base. Floor tablet and monument 1709/10 to William Couper. Roof similar to that in chancel. VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 43-4. 'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 103.

Listing NGR: SU6061731952

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
145313
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 43-44
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15586/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Thomas Olding. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].