CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1350820
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350820.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:41:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Northington
National Grid Reference:
SU 56438 37350

Details

SU 53 NE NORTHINGTON NORTHINGTON

6/6 Church of St John the 5.12.55 Evangelist II*

Parish church, 1887-90 by Sir T G Jackson for Lord Ashburton. Knapped flint with stone dressings, roof old plain tile. On site with considerable fall to E, large-perpendicular church of chancel on crypt with octagonal E end, nave with S porch and N aisle, and tall tower. Chancel has buttresses on corners with pinnacles and battlements, and stone flush-work at floor level. Windows 2-light perpendicular. Nave has 3-light perpendicular windows and gabled porch with battlements on each side and diagonal buttresses. N Aisle has flushwork. Tower is in Somerset style with diagonal buttresses with pin- nacles, battlements, flushwork to top stage, SE corner stair turret to top of 2nd stage, and on each face pairs of large louvred 2-light mullioned and transomed bell openings. Inside rood-stair turret across to stone pulpit. Other fittings contemporary including perpendicular font with suspended cover. Monument to last Henleys 1st and 2nd Earl of Northington 1786. Under tower large monument 1848 by Westmacott Junior to Baring family, below door to vault rendered in stone.

Listing NGR: SP5643737359

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
145176
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].