CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1350574
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350574.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:33:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARNABAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Swanmore
National Grid Reference:
SU 57633 16401

Details

SWANMORE CHURCH ROAD SU 51 NE 4/34 Church of St Barnabas II

Parish church. 1844, neo-Norman by Ferrey, with chancel extended and vestry of 1863, north aisle tower and west windows of 1876. Walls of coursed flintwork with stone dressings; plinth, main flat buttresses, cill band, intermediate flat buttresses, corbel table, round-arched openings and impost bands; the chancel lacks the buttresses and is apsidal. The west windows are triple lancets (nave) and triple lancets within plate tracery with roundels (south aisle). The tower is plain, with thin lancets, a timber framed arcade to the bell stage, and a pyramid shingled spire; it acts as a north porch, with a pointed arched entrance, and there is a half-octagonal staircase in the centre of the east face. The interior is plain, with Victorian fittings, including a square font on pillars, and an elaborate octagonal pulpit of coloured marble.

Listing NGR: SU5849016240

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
146201
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15230/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Margaret Johnson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].