Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350471.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:14:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Winchester (District Authority)
Itchen Valley
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SU 51568 32777


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/03/2016

SU 5132 13/5

ITCHEN VALLEY, Martyr Worthy, CHURCH LANE, Church of St Swithun

(Formerly listed as Church of St Swithin)



Parish church. Mid C12, C15, restored and enlarged 1865. Flint with stone dressings, nave rendered, old plain tile roof, tilehung bellcote. Norman church probably single cell with C19 apsidal chancel, organ recess to N of chancel, and to nave late C19 NW vestry and W bellcote. Chancel has plinth with offset, 3 roundheaded lancets with labels on apsidal end and one each on sides and in vestry. Nave N wall has at E C15 cinquefoiled 2-light window reworked C19, in centre is C19 single quatrefoiled light, W of it C12 N door, roundheaded of 2 orders with nook shafts, outer order has zig-zag work with billet label, and simple foliage capitals. NW C20 stepped gabled vestry with 2-light trefoiled window. S wall has at E C15 2-light cinquefoiled window reworked C19, in centre, high-up C19 cinquefoiled window with on W of it C12 S door, roundheaded of 2 orders, outer of 2 roll mouldings with diamond hatchment label, inner order plain, and nook shafts with simple foliage capitals. W window C15 2-light cinquefoiled window with label. W gable timber-frame with plaster infill, rising to support tile-hung bellcote of 1871 with all round at top trefoiled openings, and hipped roof with splayed eaves, weathervane and 3 Cl7 bells. Inside dark chancel with stained glass windows with splayed rear arches and chevron moulded architraves, below, all round, panelling and vaulted ceiling with painted ribs supported on corbels and N opening to organ recess. Chancel arch unsymmetrical of 2 orders with thick inner order on corbels to S and columns on corbels to N. In SE corner of nave C13 piscina. C15 3-centred openings to E 2-light windows to N and S, and W window. Splayed roundheaded openings to central windows. Plain roundheaded doors including C19 vestry door. W end of nave has 2 timber columns supporting bellcote. E end to E of central windows has low pitch C15 original chancel roof with C19 roof added over to continue roof line. Heavy timbered-:2 bay roof with cruck blades on corbels to E, carved corbels to W and corbels on wallplate in centre, carved bosses and moulded wallplate, rest of nave roof C16 arched brace trusses. Floor slabs: 1723 Gulielmus Evelyn, 1728/36 Charles Dales, 1731 William Moss, 1758 Richard Heath. Monuments: to S: 1745 Guliemus Moss, 1794 Charles Dale and wife, 1810 Rev. John Shorland; to N: 1730 Fennella Bail, 1801 Thomas Ogle, 1812 Mary Bennett, 1836 Maria Breens, and C18 coat-of-arms of Bishop Headley.

Listing NGR: SU5159432691


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09176/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alec Howard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].