CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1350469
Date first listed:
05-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, MAIN ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1350469.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 15:51:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Littleton and Harestock
National Grid Reference:
SU 45351 32901

Details

SU 43 SE LITTLETON MAIN ROAD

6/4 Church of St Catherine 5.12.55 GV II*

Parish Church. C12 and C13, heavily restored 1885-97 by T.E. Williams. Rubble flint and reused stone, stone dressings, old plain tile roof. Norman church of chancel and nave, C19 N aisle with NE vestry, and S porch. C19 chancel E window of 5 trefoiled lights below transom, arched traceried head above. C19 SE stepped buttress. On S wall 2 C13 pointed lancets, one with trefoiled head. Nave S wall has at E C15 stepped buttress, C19 flint and brick gabled porch in centre with to E C19 2-light cinquefoiled window. N wall has aisle and vestry, set back at E with 2-light E window, reset C14 pointed doorway to NE and 3 C19 square-headed cinquefoiled windows with buttress between and 2-light W window. W end of nave has large C19 round-headed window with in gable pair of pointed bell openings with bells, dated 1897. Inside chancel E window has double chamfered 3-centred rear arch. N wall has wide opening for an organ. In SE corner C13 pointed piscina with restored bowl. Pointed chancel arch of 1885 has in lower half stone screen with squints either side, both being poor C19 copies of originals. Remains of original jamb of arch and archway survive near ground. High on E wall of nave to S is C14 stone trefoil. S nave window has old 3-centred rear arch and similar arch to W window. C19 pointed S door inside older round-headed opening. N arcade of 2 pointed arches with round columns and responds. 2 small brasses set in slab in front of chancel arch 1505 and 1499 to John Smythe and his wife Alisia. In SW corner Norman Purbeck font, late C12, square top with patterns, not arcading, on sides, round bowl, central drum and corner columns on square base with rounded corners. Roof restored C15 crown post of 2 bays with ashlar pieces, curves braces and plain posts.

Listing NGR: SU4534832783

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
145728
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/15961/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Alison Parsons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].