PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1347212
Date first listed:
26-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH GREEN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1347212.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 01:37:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
St. Albans (District Authority)
Parish:
Harpenden
National Grid Reference:
TL 13265 14427

Details

TL 1314 SW HARPENDEN CHURCH GREEN (north side) HARPENDEN

16/37 Parish Church of St Nicholas 26.7.51

II*

Parish Church. C15 W tower. Remainder of church rebuilt in polychrome early-Gothic style by W. Slater in 1862. N aisle added 1898-9 by R. Brown and Sons. E end of church reordered in 1962. The tower, which was restored in 1980, is flint rubble with stone and cement dressings. 3 stages. Large stepped angle buttresses. Octagonal stair turret at SW angle. Crenellated parapet. Lead spike. Moulded cement bands and plinth. W door has deep hollowed surround. 3-light window above with cinquefoil lights. 2-light belfry window with trefoiled lights. Hood moulds. Rest of church is rock-face stone with smooth stone dressings. Flush sandstone bands and polychrome arch heads. Machine tile roof. Simple bar tracery windows in a mid-C12 French style. Aisle windows are 2 lights with quatrefoils; transept ends 3-light; E end with 5 lights and an oculus with 4 quatrefoils. Interior has a 5-bay nave. Drum sandstone piers with moulded bases and leaf-carved capitals. Aisles have broad arches on E and W sides of transepts, each with continuous roll mouldings. Chancel has 2 bays either side, each with a drum pier. At W end of S aisle is a good C12 Purbeck marble font: octagonal with 2 shallow pointed panels on each face; 8 round supporting colonettes. Brasses: 1456 to William Anabull; 1559 to William Cressye, both near pulpit. Good C18 and early-C19 wall monuments on N and S interior walls of tower including (N wall) large monument to Godman Jenkyn (d.1746): obelisk with armorial plaque, sarcophagus base with lobe fluting; black and white marble. C18 monument above with fluted Doric pilasters and broken segmental pediment. S wall has 6 smaller wall plaques. (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL1326514427

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
163572
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15017/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].