CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1344941
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, ST CHADS TERRACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1344941.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2020 at 13:20:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, ST CHADS TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shrewsbury
National Grid Reference:
SJ 48819 12431

Details

SHREWSBURY

SJ4812SE ST CHAD'S TERRACE 653-1/14/536 (East side) 10/01/53 Church of St Chad

GV I

Parish church. 1790-92. By George Steuart of London. Ashlar over rusticated basement with leaded roofs. West tower, elliptical stair hall, and circular nave with shallow projecting chancel recess. Base of tower is square, carrying octagonal upper section, with paired Doric pilasters on each facet, this in turn carrying cupola supported on free-standing Composite columns and with a tall domed roof capped by a cross. Ionic eastern entrance portico, with tall arched entrance doors within, with date stone over, MDCCXC. Elliptical stair hall and circular nave articulated by paired Doric pilasters each side of round-arched windows. Parapet with alternating solid and balustraded sections. Square windows in lower wall. INTERIOR: circular ante-chamber giving access to side chapel furnished as war memorial, then oval inner stair hall, with cantilevered stone staircase with cast-iron balustrade, rising to (liturgical) north and south and giving access to gallery. Main body of church is circular, with wedges of original pews. Gallery carried on cast-iron cylindrical Ionic shafts raised on high bases. Second tier of fluted Composite shafts above, linking to plaster cornice. Plasterwork ceiling, with foliate outer circle and inner radial decoration round putti in clouds. Palladian arch with fluted Composite shafts to shallow chancel recess with ornate gilded altar piece, and low-reliefs each side of crucifix. STAINED GLASS: painted glass east window representing the Deposition from the Cross, and windows painted in a similar style each side of the organ to the (liturgical) west. Glass by David Evans, copied from paintings. Some armorial stained glass to north. Glass in stair hall window by Hardman. MEMORIALS: various marble memorial stones, and hatchments, including bust by Chantrey, 1815. Copper and brass pulpit on quatrefoil plan with symbols of the Evangelists on each panel, c1890. The walls of stair hall and ante-chamber are lined with marble memorial stones. (The Buildings of England: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1958-).

Listing NGR: SJ4881612458

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
458017
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/237635
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/38072

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15180/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Semple. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].