Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1343026.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 01:50:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Walsall (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 02473 99908


WALSALL MB LEIGH ROAD (off) SP 09 NW Rushall 7/56 Church of St Michael

GV II Church. 1856, on older site, by James Cranston. Lengthened, and south-west tower with spire added, 1867-8. Limestone, with rubble walls and steep tile roofs. Comprises a nave, north and south transepts, lower chancel, and north vestry. The tower has angle buttresses, and a central buttress above the lowest stage, which is set forward. To each side of this buttress there is a one-light opening to both,upper stages. The broach spire has red sandstone bands, and lucarnes with detached square shafts. The west door is moulded with pointed arch and angle shafts. The west window of the nave has Geometrical tracery and is of four lights. The nave windows are of paired trefoiled lights. On the south side the nave if of three bays separated by buttresses. On the north it is of four bays, with a further one-light window to the east. In the angle with the transept is a stair turret. The north wall of the transept has three trefoiled lights. Above them is a 2-light window with Geometrical tracery. The lower part of the south transept is now covered by a gabled porch and late C20 extension. The chancel east window is of three trefoiled lights with Geometrical tracery. Interior: nave roof trusses have curved braces rising to collars. At the crossing two trusses intersect diagonally to form a skeleton vault. The chancel arch is narrower than the nave: it is pointed and moulded in two orders. A fresco, painted in 1905, covers the east wall of the transept. Windows contain some late C19 and early C20 glass.

Listing NGR: SP0247399908


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/05596/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J J Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].