CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1342617
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1342617.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 18:18:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Mundford
National Grid Reference:
TL 80052 93801

Details

TL 89 SW MUNDFORD

8/35 Church of St.Leonard 23:6:60 II*

Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Plaintile roofs. Aisleless nave with north porch and tower to south west; chancel with vestry to north. Tower 1854 with diagonal buttresses. One 2-light cusped Y-traceried ground floor window, two cusped loops to first floor and 4 single light cusped bell openings. Saddleback roof with short spire. South wall of nave with 3 2-light C14 windows with mouchettes and daggers. West wall with one late Medieval 3-light window and a modern quatre- foil in gable. North porch probably post-Medieval with brick dressings. Entrance front with chequer pattern of brick and knapped flint. Plain chamfered entrance arch. 2-light mullion side windows with rectangular hood moulds. C14 moulded doorway. 3 C14 north windows similar to south wall. Chancel with 2 rebuilt 2-light south windows and a Priest's doorway. C18 hollow chamfered triple lancet east window. North side with vestry of 1900 and one late-Medieval 2-light window. Interior. C14 chancel arch with shafted responds and wave moulded arch. Fragmentary late-Medieval chancel screen revitalised with the addition of an organ loft and tracery designed by Sir Ninian Comper in 1911-12. Also by Comper are the front nave pews, the pulpit, the reading desk, organ case, chancel stalls, ceiling, reredos and east window stained glass. C14 font with mutilated Evangelist carvings.

Listing NGR: TL8005293801

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220982
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05894/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].