CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1341564
Date first listed:
06-Sep-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1341564.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 06:26:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
Avening
National Grid Reference:
ST 87960 97998

Details

ST 89 NE AVENING AVENING VILLAGE

3/11 Church of the Holy Cross 6.9.54

I

Church. Late Cll with later medieval additions (transepts probably of late C13) and restored in 1902 by John Micklethwaite. Rubble stone with some ashlar work in tower, Cotswold stone slate roof. Cruciform with 2-bay north aisle and 2-storey porch in north west corner. 3-stage embattled tower stepping in at each string course, with square clock faces to east and north set on diagonal, 2-light belfry windows on 2nd stage with hoodmould and decorative stops except for west side which has 2 blocked round arched openings cut into by nave roof. Complex buttressing to south east corner of tower. Chancel has decorative ball frieze under eaves; roof line has been lowered. Below 3-light east window on outer wall of chancel is finely carved commemorative stone set into wall with oval panel surmounted by an urn and drapery, inscription obliterated. Interior: Large Norman doorway inside porch has chevron arch supported on twisted shafts with carved capitals, with C16 doorway inserted. 2-bay Norman arcade has single large cylindrical pier with scalloped capital. West tower arch has Norman shafts but later pointed arch, chancel arch Norman with round arch and scalloped capitals. Early English transept arches with deep semi- circular windows above each. First bay of chancel is Norman with half roll ribs set on flat projection, remaining bays early C14 with ridge ribs and carved bosses. 2 blocked Norman windows in easternmost bay; tracery mainly Decorated except for C18 west window. Nave has C14 timber wagon roof. Nave altar on south side has holy table of 1657. East window by Clayton & Bell 1889, 2 nave windows c1908 by Christopher Whall. Many monuments in transepts. In north transept, kneeling effigy of Henry Brydges of Avening Court (q.v.), died 1615, and other C17 stone tablets and C18 and C19 marble. In south transept, series of C17 monuments to Driver family in vigorous style. (David Verey, Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds 1979.)

Listing NGR: ST8795898002

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
128287
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12452/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derrick Whitmore. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].