CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1340977
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340977.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 07:11:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Cotswold (District Authority)
Parish:
South Cerney
National Grid Reference:
SU 04992 97344

Details

SOUTH CERNEY CHURCH LANE SU 0497-0597 (north side) 14/225 Church of All Hallows 26.11.58 GV I Anglican parish church. Norman foundation, altered throughout medieval period, restored 1862 by J.P. St. Aubyn. Rubble stone tower and chancel, remainder mostly coursed, with dressed stone aisle walls on offset plinth, stone slate roof to chancel, rest plain tiles, with coped verges and cross finials. Nave with north and south aisles and south porch, central tower, chancel with small north vestry. Tower of 3 stages with offset at lower level, string course at higher level, with stepped buttresses to north and south halfway up second stage, embattled parapet and corner pinnacles. Single Norman lancet to north and south on bottom stage, single square-headed light with relieving arch on second stage, twin belfry louvres to top stage, with clock on south face, large tie bar oval plates towards top. Stair tower to south-west, and sundial on south-east buttress. North aisle has partly restored Norman north door, 2 and 3-light Decorated C19 windows and stepped buttresses. Chancel has 3-light east window with ball flower decoration on upper tracery, and small ogee head priest's door on south side between 2-light Decorated windows, all of C14. On south side, large C19 porch with angle buttresses and tall coped gable and rear Norman doorway with beakheads and chevron moulding, moved to this position in 1862. Interior: 5-bay nave with braced and strutted collar beam roof with moulding on under side and 2 tiers of arched wind bracing. Five-bay Early English arcade with cylindrical piers and attached shafts. Keel-moulded tower arches. Double piscina and sedilia in chancel, with braced crossed strut roof carried on ridge beam. Many fine black and white marble wall monuments of C18 and C19 in aisles and chancel. (David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, 1979; local informaton booklet).

Listing NGR: SU0498897344

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
129524
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/00496/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].