CHURCH OF ST CYR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1340646
Date first listed:
28-Jun-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CYR, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340646.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 01:47:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CYR, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Stonehouse
National Grid Reference:
SO 79949 05013

Details

SO 7905 STONEHOUSE CHURCH LANE (west side)

6/152 Church of St Cyr (previously listed as Church of 28.6.60 St Cyril)

GV II*

Parish church. C14 tower; remainder of church rebuilt 1854 by Henry Crisp of Bristol; chancel aisles and vestry added 1884. Coursed and squared limestone; stone slate roof. Nave and chancel with aisles; west tower, north porch and south vestry. Round arched C12 style north doorway is said to be copy of original; porch with pointed arch and diagonal offset buttresses. Five- window fenestration to lean-to aisles, all Perpendicular traceried in offset buttressed walls (north doorway replacing 1 window on north side, projecting gabled vestry with large Perpendicular window replacing 1 window on south side at east end). Three-stage tower with diagonal west buttresses appears rather squat due to high roof of rebuilt church. Moulded pointed arched west doorway with Perpendicular traceried window above. Belfry is possibly later C15 with 2-light openings having timber louvres below quatrefoil tracery. Crenellated parapet to tower and higher square stair turret on north side. Moulded string course to tower linking animal gargoyles. Short chancel has east window with curvilinear tracery. Interior: spacious with 5-bay aisle arcades. Tower arch obscured by large west organ loft supported on iron columns; traceried timber tower screen below. High pointed chancel arch flanked by lower 4-centred aisle arches. High cambered tie beams to nave roof with short king posts and quatrefoil spandrel filling. East window has matching recessed flanking panels. Various C19 church furnishings, all original. Earliest memorials in tower: panel flanked by scrolls is to Mary ye Wife of Thomas Smyth, died 1675; and oval memorial with wreathed border and escutcheons to Anselm Fowler of Moore Hall, died 1704. Various C19 memorials in south aisle. Stained glass to east window by Wailes of Newcastle. (N.M.Herbert, 'Stonehouse' in V.C.H. Glos x, 1972, pp.267-289; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979.)

Listing NGR: SO7994905013

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
132028
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972), 267-289
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00686/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JM Weager. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].