CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1340308
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340308.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 20:15:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Norton
National Grid Reference:
SO 86554 24379

Details

SO 82 SE NORTON PRIOR'S NORTON

6/109 Church of St. Mary 10.1.55 II*

GV

Anglican parish church. C13 chancel, Decorated features in nave, Perpendicular west tower, restoration by Waller and Christian 1875- 6. Chancel: blue lias with limestone buttresses. Vestry: blue lias. Nave: blue lias. Tower: limestone. Porch: timber-framed with brick infill. Red tile and stone slate roof. Plan: nave with porch projecting from centre of south front; chancel with C19 vestry on north; west tower with projecting stair vice at north- east corner. Chancel with clamp buttresses. South wall; C19 plank priest's door with flat-chamfered pointed surround. Single light left expanded out either side to form triangular spandrels. Monument set in wall right of door to Robert Marston, died 1708, sandstone, heraldic shield at top flanked by faces of winged cherubs, swags either side, skull and cross-bones at bottom. Two- light window right with trefoil-headed lights. Early English east window (restored); 2 trefoil-headed lights flanked by engaged columns, engaged columns at centre, quatrefoil set in roundel at top. North wall of vestry: C19 two-light window with relieving arch, C19 plank door within shouldered surround in right-hand wall. Single light with trefoil-head far right. Nave north wall: two pointed 2-light windows with trefoil-headed lights-and quatrefoils, right-hand window C19, left hand window partly restored. Central plank south door within Decorated cinquefoil-headed cusped surround. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Plinth with moulded capping. Strings between stages. C19 double door in west face, within hollow-moulded surround, hollow-moulded hood with eroded stops. Three-light window above with Perpendicular tracery (restored) and hood with scroll-ended stops, 2-light-belfry windows to third stage with cusped heads and hoods with geometric stops, large winged angel stops to hood over north facing window., carved stone face with open mouth incorporated in lower string course. Two-light window with trefoil-headed ogee cusping in-rectangular surround, lighting second stage on south side. Battlemented parapet, moulded string below with gargoyles, offset from corners, one of skirted man playing musical instrument. Nave south wall: single clamp buttress far right with sundial with metal gnomon far right. Two pointed windows with cinquefoil headed lights and Perpendicular tracery either side of porch, tracery and hood over right-hand window original, left- hand window C19. Gabled C19-C20 timber-framed porch with central double plank doors, single frosted lights either side, stone roundel with foliate carving towards apex of gable above. C19 plank door with strap hinges within Decorated cinquefoil-headed ogee cusped surround as on north. Interior: nave with north and south doorways in opposition, tall C14 double-chamfered pointed arch to tower, two corbels against west wall of nave with painted stencilled decoration depicting flowers within crown. Early plank door with cover strips within flat-chamfered 4-centred arched doorway from tower to stair vice. Trefoil-headed ogee cusped piscina left of pulpit. Asymmetrical double-chamfered pointed chancel arch, probably C14. Chancel: C19 pointed arch from chancel to vestry. Priest's door in south wall. C19, four and a half bay arch-braced roof with brattished tie and octagonal king post to nave. C19 roof to chancel with 7 facets. Plain tiled floor in nave, some decorative encaustic tiling within chancel and sanctuary. Fittings: octagonal stone font on octagonal base (adjacent to south door). C19 wooden octagonal pulpit in north-east corner of nave. C19 carved wooden lectern in form of angel on opposite side of nave. Chancel: C19 railing between nave and chancel and nave and sanctuary, with painted cast iron foliate supports. Monuments nave north wall: Richard Browne, died 1636 and his son, also Richard, died 1715; limestone frame with decorative scrollwork, heraldic shield at top, lion's head and angel head decoration. Nave south wall: white on black marble monument to Richard Butt, died 1848. Eroded slate stone ledger with heraldic shield at top within tower. (D. Verey, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980).

Listing NGR: SO8655424379

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
134229
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00440/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].