CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1340159
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1340159.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 21:52:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Tewkesbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Teddington
National Grid Reference:
SO 98262 32459

Details

SO 93 SE TEDDINGTON ALSTONE VILLAGE

5/178 Church of St Margaret 4.7.60

GV II*

Small Anglican church. Late C12, altered C17, restored 1880. Nave and chancel: large random finely squared and dressed limestone. Chancel north wall ashlar. Porch random roughly squared and dressed limestone; red tile roof with C19 timber-framed turret. Nave with north aisle and a projecting south porch; bell turret; chancel. Nave south wall: C19 double plank door within the porch with C12 surround with plain tympanum with single band of diaper at the bottom; scalloped jamb shafts; diapered imposts; chevron and pellet decoration over the tympanum. Moulded Tudor-arched entrance with the initials 'C.N/ N.A' in the spandrels and the date 1621 on the lintel below the stopped hood. Stone bench seats within porch. Small free-standing headstone with pointed top and inscription to 'WILLIUM -----'--- THE ELD/EST WHO DE/SESED THIS LYFE - TUESDA/Y OF FEBRUARY/ A.D. 1624'. Three-light hollow chamfered stone-mullioned casement with stopped hood to the right of the porch; 2-light flat-chamfered stone-mullioned casement to the left of the porch; sandstone monument to Sarah Allen daughter of John and Mary Allen, died 1829 far left. Single trefoil-headed lancet at the west end. Chancel with diagonal buttresses. South wall of chancel: 3-light double-chamfered stone-mullioned casement. Pair of Early English lancets at the east end; monument to Sarah ye daughter of Edward, (?) Tirle of ------Washbourne, died 1710, with inset inscription panel with 2 rosettes at the top. C19 to left of the east window, two-light stone-mullioned casement with trefoil-headed lights to the north wall. North aisle with diagonal buttresses: 2-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned casement with Tudor-arched head at the east end; similar window to the north wall and at the west end. Squat timber-framed bell-turret with ogee-curved decorative timbering, towards the east end of the nave; wooden louvres to belfry openings; clock on the south side; pyramidal roof with weathervane. Stepped and flat coping with roll cross saddles to the gable ends; upright cross finial to gable end of chancel. Scraped interior: 3-bay nave with C19 arch-braced collar beam trusses rising from C19 moulded stone corbels. Single early unused stone corbel in the nave north wall. Large C14 octagonal limestone font at the west end of the north aisle. C19 pews with C17 bench ends. C15 octagonal wooden pulpit with linenfold panelling. C19 communion rails with decorative wrought iron uprights. C20 communion table. Two monuments on the north wall of the north aisle: left-hand monument with initials F.D. at top and illegible inscription: broken triangular pediment flanked by Ionic columns. Similar monument to John Darke, died 1805 and his wife Anne to the right. Inscriptions on both monuments foliating badly at time of resurvey (May 1987). Four C17 and one C18 ledger in floor of the north aisle. C18 ledger to members of the Attwood family in main aisle. C15 figural stained glass in the westernmost window of the nave north wall. (David Verey: The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1980)

Listing NGR: SO9785233624

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
135273
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D, The Buildings of England: The Vale and the Forest of Dean, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16618/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].