CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1339861
Date first listed:
26-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339861.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:37:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Hart (District Authority)
Parish:
Fleet
National Grid Reference:
SU 80808 54507

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2012

SU 85 SW 10/1

FLEET CHURCH ROAD Church of All Saints

II*

1862. by William Burges. Nave and aisles of 6 bays the 2 western ones an addition of 1934 chancel of one bay with apse, vestry to north east with modern extensions (including a Lady Chapel of 1958). The interior has a pointed barrel vault roof in timber with brick arches separating the bays, continuing to the ground are pilasters attached to the square pillars which separate the pointed arches of the arcade. There are half-arches in brickwork in the aisles, resting on impost blocks. The red brick interior is marked by single bands and plinth, and by the painting of yellow and black bands and yellow mitifs: the polychromatic treatment has disappeared in the chancel, now painted white. Externally, the lack of clerestorey emphasises the steeply-pitched red tile roofing, and there is a tall 2 bell gabled turret at the east end of the nave. Walling is in red brickwork, with a decorative eaves band of diagonal bricks, above cusped arches resting on small brackets: horizontal plain mouldings at impost level (carried over the openings), at cill level, plinth. Buttresses of 2 steps divide the bays, which each contain a pair of lancets. The west gable has a circular window with plate tracery, this is re-set from the original west wall, the aisles terminating in coupled lancets beneath a cusped roundel, the, the nave ending in a group of 3 lancets. North and south doors contain tympanum sculpture. Within is a canopied tomb of medieval style, with the effigies of the founder (C H Lefroy) and his wife. All the windows have heavy leaded lights, some with circular and others with lozenge shaped glass.



Listing NGR: SP7424762965

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
136599
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08404/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].