CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1339798
Date first listed:
16-May-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339798.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Aug-2020 at 05:01:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashmansworth
National Grid Reference:
SU 42478 56235

Details

SU 45 NW ASHMANSWORTH CRUX EASTON 2/18

16.5.66 Church of St Michael II*

1775, 1894. Aisleless nave, with 3 windows on each side, short chancel with a segmental apse and, C19 porch. The roof with flat above the apse, the brick dentil eaves (and curb to the apse parapet) and the top section of walling suggests a reconstruction of the later date; small timber bell turret at the west end, with a tiled roof. Walling is of red brickwork in Flemish bond, with blue flush panels around the openings and 2 tall panels to the plain chancel walls, header bricks to the apse end. Red rubbed semi-circular arches to the openings, with stepped stone keys and stone impost blocks and aisle, plinth. The west wall is of the later period, with 2 buttresses. Leaded lights, with coloured side panes. The porch has a tiled roof, boarded walls above a brick base, the doorway being transposed from the original which is now a window. Within, the nave ceiling (repaired 1971) is segmental in the nave, and semi-circular in the chancel, meeting the plain walls with a cavetto moulding. The chancel has a panelled dado and on each side of the altar are tall panels (above the continuing dado) enclosed by fluted pilasters and a cornice; the floor is paved in coloured marble. The font (of 2 parts) is C18, of Italian origin, with a white marble bowl with small cherub heads and a sandstone baluster with raised figures. Cl8 oak pulpit.

Listing NGR: SU4247756178

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
138332
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08778/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Nicola De Gruchy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].