Church of St Michael Archangel

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1339760
Date first listed:
16-May-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
18-May-1984
Statutory Address:
Church of St Michael Archangel, Highclere

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339760.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:45:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Michael Archangel, Highclere

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Highclere
National Grid Reference:
SU 44017 60298

Details

SU 46 SW 1/6

HIGHCLERE Church of St Michael Archangel (formerly listed as Church of St Michael and All Angels)

16.5.66 II* 1870, by George Gilbert Scott, RA. Built to replace the earlier church of 1692, itself on the medieval site next to Highclere Castle. Chancel of two bays, nave of three bays with a south aisle, (later) porch on the north side, and tower north of the chancel; the style is Early English with plate tracery.

Steep tile roofing, with scalloped bands above the chancel. Walling of flint with stone dressings; stepped coupled buttresses at the corners, plain eaves, cill band to chancel and west wall, generally coupled lancet windows, some with quatrefoils, some with hoodmoulds. The east gable has a wheel window above an elaborate blind arcade, the west gable has a circular opening above two tall lancets. The tower has a shingled broach spire, a bell stage of triple lancets, with coupled stepped buttresses below this level, at each corner.

The interior is plain, with pointed and moulded arches, Early English caps to the two octagonal columns, and detached columns to the arcaded interiors of the chancel windows. There are several monuments from the old church; an elaborate Jacobean Tomb (of Richard Kingsmill) with a recumbent effigy, kneelers, and lettered panels enclosed in a Corinthian Order. In the chancel, the monument of Robert Sawyer (1692) has a classical framework of black and mottled white marble, with Corinthian pilasters, swags enclosing a pedestal, a sarcophagus base, with floral ornament and an urn at the top. A wall monument to the Bishop of Waterford (1773) has a figure by Roubiliac. There are two oval wall plaques to William (1799) and Mary (1783) Coleman, and other classical wall monuments (two of 1720, one of 1740, 1915 and 1933).

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
138129
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 19 Hampshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/12758/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Barry Lambert. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].