ROYAL GARRISON CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1339672
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1973
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Feb-1999
Statutory Address:
ROYAL GARRISON CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, FARNBOROUGH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339672.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:35:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROYAL GARRISON CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, FARNBOROUGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Rushmoor (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 85326 51036

Details

ALDERSHOT SU 85 SE FARNBOROUGH ROAD (North West side) 991-0/2/23 Royal Garrison Church of All Saints 29.3.73 II

Formerly known as: Royal Garrison Church FARNBOROUGH ROAD. Garrison church. 1863, by Philip Hardwick, drawings signed by C Russell. English bond brick with stone dressings and slate roof Decorated Gothic Revival style. PLAN: aisled nave with N and S porches at W end, S transept and opposing. N tower, NE chapel and chancel. EXTERIOR: weathered angle buttresses to coped gables on moulded kneelers with cross finials, plinth with weathered moulding, moulded cill bands, and brick dentil eaves cornice, with Geometrical Gothic tracery. E gable has 2-centre arched 5-light window with a central round window in the arch; to the left projects a low gabled vestry with paired trefoil-headed lights in the end, and to the right a low chapel with small transepts, hexagonal apsidal end and hipped roof, and paired trefoil-headed windows. N side aisle of 3 bays divided by buttresses with paired lancets, gabled dormers to the nave with triple trefoil-headed lights, and a gabled porch at the W end with moulded 2-centre arched doorway and triple trefoil-headed lights to the sides; 2-stage tower has clasping buttresses to the bottom stage, second stage with paired 2-light louvred belfry openings with colonette mullions, and a pyramidal roof with bands of green and blue slates, leaded lucarnes with finials to each side, and finial. W gable with lower aisle gables each side has a central 2-centre arched 5-light window as the E end. S side as the N, but with gabled transept instead of the tower with a 3-light window as the E end; the aisle projects through the transept into a gable with a round light containing 5 cinquefoils, and in the angle between the two gables is a porch with raking roof and small 2-centre arched doorway. In the S porch, the 1st Division British Expeditionary Force cross: a battlefield cross made of timber salvaged from Bazentin village erected in High Wood, Somme, in 1917 to commemorate Division casualties of September 1916, brought to Division HQ Aldershot in 1927 and moved to the Garrison church in 1939. INTERIOR: aisled, 5-bay nave with round piers and octagonal caps to moulded 2-centre arches, arch-braced roof on mock-hammer beam supports, cusped above moulded corbels, chancel arch on half-round responds to chancel with 2-bay roof Square font on 8 coloured marble shafts inscribed with signs of the four evangelists. HISTORY: the original garrison church for the permanent Aldershot barracks, and notable for the involvement of a national architect. This is a comparatively early instance of a garrison church, and the largest for this date, reflecting the size and consequence of the new Aldershot camp. (Childerhouse T: Military Aldershot, the first fifty years: London: 1990-; Plans and elevations: 1864-: WORK 43/733).

The entry subject to a minor enhancement on 27 June 2016.



Listing NGR: SU8532651036

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
137847
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Childerhouse, T , Military Aldershot the first fifty years, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01179/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jennifer Hollands. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].