Church of St. Mary the Less


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary the Less, Village Street, Chilbolton, Stockbridge, SO20 6BQ


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339283.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:21:17.


Statutory Address:
Church of St. Mary the Less, Village Street, Chilbolton, Stockbridge, SO20 6BQ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Test Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 39481 40219


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/06/2020

SU 34 SE 3/44


(Formerly listed under WINCHESTER ROAD)


I Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, 1842, and restoration of 1893. Norman nave with blocked clerestory window, Early English chancel, north and south aisles of C14, tower of 1842, vestry and porch of the last date. Tile roof, carried over the aisles; walls of flint rubble with rendering to the chancel and north aisle, stone dressings (buttresses, windows and plinth). There are restoration lancets and coupled lights, with one Perpendicular window to the south of the chancel. The tower, at the west end of the south aisle, has three stages, the lowest having flint walls enclosed by flat buttresses and corbelled eaves to the tile roof, linking to the narrower (middle) bell stage, which has boarding on an earlier timber frame (removed from the nave), the top being a tiled broach spire.

Inside, the nave arcade has two arches on each side, staggered on plan to fit a shorter south aisle, the north side having a rood-stair within the east end of the nave wall. The shafts are octagonal, with half octagonal end supports, with moulded caps and bases. There is a much restored C15 screen, C16 linenfold panelling in front of the reading desks and a Jacobean pulpit. 'Pexpendicular' font of 1891.

Listing NGR: SU3957040247


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/09173/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Susan Bearder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].