CHURCH OF ST MARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1339161
Date first listed:
29-May-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK, A31

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339161.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 16:24:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK, A31

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Ampfield
National Grid Reference:
SU 40650 23517

Details

AMPFIELD A31 SU 42SW 4/7 Church of St Mark 29/5/57 II

Parish church, 1838-41 by O B Carter and W C Yonge, stained glass designed by W Butterfield and made by W Wailes, who built E & W windows and S porch in 1855. Blue brick, mostly stone dressings, some red brick dressings, stone bell turret, slate roof. In Early English style, plan of small chancel, 5 bay nave with short N aisle, W bell turret and added S porch. Walls have plinth with and moulded cill band. On corners flat buttresses with chamfers. E window pointed with Geometrical tracery. On sides in each bay pointed lancet, expect for added S porch, gabled with moulded pointed doorway and geometric window over. Above is cornice with corbels supporting parapet with moulded coping. At W end is stepped triple lancets. On gable elaborate stone bell turret with octagonal spire, placed diagonally. Interior is as built. Above the pulpit in NE nave is stained glass window commemorating John Keble, 1792-1866, designed by W Butterfield, carried out but W Wailes, who did other windows. Roof has open cusped framing filling the roof trusses. Stone octagonal font on circular drum. Ampfield parish was separated from Hursley when church was built, its foundation being inspired by John Keble, vicar of Hursley 1836-66, and important member of the Oxford Movement. The cost of the building and the site being provided by the owner of Hursley Manor, Sir William Heathcote.

Listing NGR: SP3665219115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
141071
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/07886/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Cox. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].