CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1339119
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, TYTHERLEY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1339119.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Aug-2020 at 11:38:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, TYTHERLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Test Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Lockerley
National Grid Reference:
SU 29844 26684

Details

LOCKERLEY TYTHERLEY ROAD SU 22 NE 3/55 Church of St. John

II

Parish church. 1890 by J Colson. Squared grey limestone with brown limestone dressings, plain tile roof. Plan of chancel with outshot, N vestry, nave with transepts and SW tower with porch under, in Dec and Perp style. E end of chancel has tall 3-light Perp window with traceried head, diagonal corner buttresses. On S 1-light cinquefoiled window with quatrefoil in head, central buttress and W 2-light trefoiled window with quatrefoil in head. N wall has similar 1-light window, vestry has E shouldered-arch door and N squareheaded 3-light trefoiled window. S transept has on E side porch with S shouldered- arch door, E cinquefoiled light, quatrefoiled parapet with coat of arms over door to transept. 2-light cinquefoiled window with traceried head, and diagonal buttresses. Nave and transepts have gabled walls with heads carved on kneelers. S trancept has on W tiny C12 lancet. In each bay of nave 2-light cinquefoiled window with quatrefoil in head and buttress between bays. W end has to N clasping buttresses, to S octagonal stair turret and tall 3-light cinquefoiled window with traceried head and quatrefoil in gable. SW tower has clasping buttresses with gabled offsets. 2 order pointed S door and 2-light cinquefoiled W window. To middle stage trefoil on each face, to belfry 2-light trefoiled opening with quatrefoil in head. Corner pilaster to this stage and machiolated parapet. Short octagonal spire with vane. Inside chancel has stained-glass to E windows. Reredos of marble with plaster of Last Supper, Boarded roof with ribs. Chancel arch 2 order off foliated capital on short marble shaft on foliated corbel. Moulded arches starting above springing to transepts. Nave roof of king-post on arch-brace with tracery in spandrels, 2 trusses per bay with braces coming down to head corbels. Stone pulpit and font in perp style. Organ in N transept behind carved screen. Contemporary stalls. In porch old font of cylindrical bowl, and reset C18 monuments : 1701 to Mathew Barlow, 1716 to Amy and George Thomas, also 2 C17 bells.

Listing NGR: SU2984725378

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
140923
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/12752/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Hubbard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].